make Equation align with bottom of text

Old May 12th 06, 07:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default make Equation align with bottom of text

I am going nuts trying to figure out how a previous author managed to
get his MS Equations to vertically align with the bottom of the text
(actually the equation number) on the same line.

I only seem to be able to create new equations that are aligned with
other text centrally in the vertical.

If I use the format painter to copy the bottom aligned format from one
of the previous author's equations to one of my centrally aligned ones,
it works fine. I have tried turning on reveal formatting in Word 2003
with no visible difference between the paragraphs, and the equation
objects seem to be both the same in terms of layout options (ie in
line).

Old May 12th 06, 12:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Hello Tony

Tony wrote:
I am going nuts trying to figure out how a previous author managed to
get his MS Equations to vertically align with the bottom of the text
(actually the equation number) on the same line.

I only seem to be able to create new equations that are aligned with
other text centrally in the vertical.

FWIW, if I insert a one-line equation Object, it seems perfectly
alligned (i.e., the base line of the words in the paragraph seems to be
exactly the base line of the characters in the equation). If the
equation gets higher (for instance, an integral), the baseline is still
the same. But if it gets two lines, then it becomes centered vertically.

If I use the format painter to copy the bottom aligned format from one
of the previous author's equations to one of my centrally aligned ones,
it works fine. I have tried turning on reveal formatting in Word 2003
with no visible difference between the paragraphs, and the equation
objects seem to be both the same in terms of layout options (ie in
line).

Hmm, paragraph spacing (single/multiple/at least vs. exactly)?

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Old May 12th 06, 03:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

There's a good bit of pertinent information you left out of your post,
primarily which version of Word you're using, and how you're getting
the equation in your document. I don't think the problem is in your
paragraph spacing settings or any other format settings. The problem
is that Word isn't getting the baseline information that's included
with each of the equations. It could be Word isn't getting this
information because somehow the baseline information either is being
removed from the equation or isn't saved in the first place. Sometimes
this is caused by copying the equation from Equation Editor (or from
another document) and pasting it into Word. The proper way to exit
Equation Editor is to click the mouse outside the EE workspace, or by
pressing the Esc key. Most people don't have their EE set up to open
in a separate window, but if you do, you should close the window to
put the equation into the document. All of this assumes you opened EE
from within the current document (either by clicking Insert Object
Microsoft Equation, or if you have installed the toolbar icon, by
clicking the icon).

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

Old May 13th 06, 05:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Thanks Guys,

I am using Word 2003, although I think the document was originally made
with Word 97. I have written a little macro to insert an equation
object, set the style to be centred, and auto create a right justified
number for the equation. I then go back into the equation object and
usually end up with a couple of lines of equation. Having said all that
the strangeness of being able to bottom align things using the format
painter still works with an equation created from scratch without my
own styles etc.

Paragraph spacing looks exactly the same and any amount of chopping and
changing between exact/multiple, space after/before does not help. I
have noticed that inline clip art is bottom aligned. It might be a case
of the 'magic' equation actually thinking it is a picture, but a double
click on it opens up EE, so I don't think that is it.