A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » Formatting Long Documents
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Quirky probs with Quick parts, footnotes/citations

Old March 14th 12, 06:26 AM

First recorded activity by WordBanter: Mar 2012
Default Quirky probs with Quick parts, footnotes/citations

I really need help as just canít keep using trial and error and I am battling against a deadline. I am writing a book that has spanned several Word Versions. I now need to set it up in word 2010 and have some problems. I am using footnotes for each new chapter. Endnotes are not appropriate for this type of book. I have a resource ďHow to write a book in wordĒ, but it misses out a lot of quick steps and it is for another discipline. My book can be likened to a thesis in history or the social sciences . I didnít want to use report format numbering each section in the chapter - although I may have to.
My writing style is to add my references after the text (where the footnote should be) and highlight it and add footnotes after I have completed each chapter. The trouble is these references are not as correct as those that were redone in the automated bibliography (which is consistent and correct) Primarily as I am still researching and finding gaps and need to cull.

These are my problems. A referral to the best resource will assist as I have tried several, and it will be appreciated. I have broken this up into three questions. Even if you can answer one this would help.

1) I set up bibliography with what I have used so far, thinking I could use it as my first long citation in footnotes - using Chicago 15th edition. Previously everything was done manually. (had to pay someone to set this up ) Now I canít use this automated system for my first long citation in footnotes (or at least I canít do it) Do I have to print and then copy and paste into footnote?

2) I need an easier resource to show me how to use sentences in my footnotes, so they are blocked and donít continue under the footnote number. I think I know how to set footnotes so they donít end up on another page.

3. Quick parts: I tried to use quick parts for my most used (ongoing) references, ie newspapers etc. so I can continue to put them in the text for later insertion into footnotes. However I canít get them to work as auto text. The screen prints I followed donít make this clear so I wasted all my time and need to rectify it. Resources didn't show all the fields and how it should be set up esp for my usage. I have done this three times and still canít get it to work. Maybe there is an easier way? (I have set up styles)

I hope someone who has experience these problems in the past can direct me to a thread or a relevant resource - please? Trouble is I canít find keyword to use that would lead me to a thread.

Last edited by kaye123 : March 14th 12 at 08:18 AM. Reason: JUST FOUND ANSWER IN THREAD 94173. IT IS 2007 BUT MAY BE WHAT i WANT.
Ads
Old March 14th 12, 01:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Suzanne S. Barnhill
external usenet poster

Default Quirky probs with Quick parts, footnotes/citations

I don't see a question here. What exactly are you trying to do? What result
do you expect? What do you get instead? In other words, what are you having
a problem with?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"kaye123" wrote in message

I really need help as just canít keep using trial and error and I am
battling against a deadline. I am writing a book that has spanned
several Word Versions. I now need to set it up in word 2010 and have
some problems. I am using footnotes for each new chapter. Endnotes are
not appropriate for this type of book. I have a resource ďHow to
write a book in wordĒ, but it misses out a lot of quick steps and it is
for another discipline. My book can be likened to a thesis in history or
the social sciences . I didnít want to use report format numbering each
section in the chapter - although I may have to.

Old March 14th 12, 11:31 PM

First recorded activity by WordBanter: Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
I don't see a question here. What exactly are you trying to do? What result
do you expect? What do you get instead? In other words, what are you having
a problem with?

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

"kaye123" wrote in message

I really need help as just canít keep using trial and error and I am
battling against a deadline. I am writing a book that has spanned
several Word Versions. I now need to set it up in word 2010 and have
some problems. I am using footnotes for each new chapter. Endnotes are
not appropriate for this type of book. I have a resource ďHow to
write a book in wordĒ, but it misses out a lot of quick steps and it is
for another discipline. My book can be likened to a thesis in history or
the social sciences . I didnít want to use report format numbering each
section in the chapter - although I may have to.

I thought I mayde this clear
These are my problems. A referral to the best resource will assist as I have tried several, and it will be appreciated. I have broken this up into three questions. Even if you can answer one this would help.

1) I set up bibliography with what I have used so far, thinking I could use it as my first long citation in footnotes - using Chicago 15th edition. Previously everything was done manually. (had to pay someone to set this up ) Now I canít use this automated system for my first long citation in footnotes (or at least I canít do it) Do I have to print and then copy and paste into footnote?

2) I need an easier resource to show me how to use sentences in my footnotes, so they are blocked and donít continue under the footnote number. I think I know how to set footnotes so they donít end up on another page.
Old May 18th 20, 02:15 PM
Banned

First recorded activity by WordBanter: Mar 2020

nice, thank you for the info! Many errors that I have already been resolved thanks to your thread!
Old May 18th 20, 02:25 PM
Banned

First recorded activity by WordBanter: Mar 2020

I also once wrote a book, this is a very high-quality and exciting activity, it is very developing! I wrote it so well that once, the site https://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/friendship/ posted my work as an example, and I'm very proud of it. Essays on frienship is a very cool and very kind topic.