Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cocksy Boy Cocksy Boy is offline

Default How to add more than 1 custom margin setting word 2007

Hi there all,

I am using word 2007 and want to add a number of custom margin settings, or
change the 'microsoft default' margin settings.

Basically, I have 3 or 4 page layouts (with different margins) that i use
for work, and none of them are the same as any of the microsoft standard
margin settings. At the moment, every time i need to change the margin, i
need to type the settings in manually.

What i want to do is save my 4 settings and add them to the 5 existing
'standard' options, or failing that, change the 5 existing microsoft settings
to my own ones.

Is there any way to do this? Many thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I don't think the Margins gallery will allow for more than one "Last Custom
Margins" selection, but you can certainly create templates for your
frequently used margin settings and apply them by creating new documents
based on those templates. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm for the
basic principles.

Note that when you save a template in Word 2007, Word doesn't default the
save location to the Templates folder; you have to use the Trusted Templates
shortcut on the Places Bar to choose that folder.

"Cocksy Boy" wrote in message
Hi there all,

I am using word 2007 and want to add a number of custom margin settings,
or
change the 'microsoft default' margin settings.

Basically, I have 3 or 4 page layouts (with different margins) that i use
for work, and none of them are the same as any of the microsoft standard
margin settings. At the moment, every time i need to change the margin, i
need to type the settings in manually.

What i want to do is save my 4 settings and add them to the 5 existing
'standard' options, or failing that, change the 5 existing microsoft
settings
to my own ones.

Is there any way to do this? Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

Cocksy Boy,

Are the different margin settings for different documents or the same
document?
If they are for different documents, you should setup a template for each
type of margin. Then everytime you create a new document based on that
template your margins will be set as you want them.

For: How to Create a Word Template, see:
http://word.mvps.org/fAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm

If you're wanting to set different sections of a document with different
margins, you can do this too, but I would suggest exploring other options
first. But that depends on why you need to have different margins. Perhaps
you could give us a list of the margin setting you need and a brief
discription telling us why you needed the different margin settings.

Steven Craig Miller

"Cocksy Boy" wrote:

Hi there all,

I am using word 2007 and want to add a number of custom margin settings, or
change the 'microsoft default' margin settings.

Basically, I have 3 or 4 page layouts (with different margins) that i use
for work, and none of them are the same as any of the microsoft standard
margin settings. At the moment, every time i need to change the margin, i
need to type the settings in manually.

What i want to do is save my 4 settings and add them to the 5 existing
'standard' options, or failing that, change the 5 existing microsoft settings
to my own ones.

Is there any way to do this? Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cocksy Boy Cocksy Boy is offline

Hi Steven & Suzanne,

I think the templates could be a good method of getting round this for about
half of the time, the other half of the time, the different margins are
required in the same document.

Basically, some pages have to have the smallest margin possible (as defined
by our printer, which is nearly borderless) so that technical drawings can
fill the piece of paper at the largest size possible.

The majority of the pages require a 2cm margin all round, and some other
specific pages require a 1cm margin all round, some require 2cm at the top /
bottom, & 1cm at the side, and there are a couple of other simlar sizes I
can't remember off the top of my head.

I can't really go into much more detail than that - sorry!

Is the alternative method a lot more difficult to implement? Many TIA!

"Cocksy Boy" wrote:

Hi there all,

I am using word 2007 and want to add a number of custom margin settings, or
change the 'microsoft default' margin settings.

Basically, I have 3 or 4 page layouts (with different margins) that i use
for work, and none of them are the same as any of the microsoft standard
margin settings. At the moment, every time i need to change the margin, i
need to type the settings in manually.

What i want to do is save my 4 settings and add them to the 5 existing
'standard' options, or failing that, change the 5 existing microsoft settings
to my own ones.

Is there any way to do this? Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

An idea you might experiment with is this: it is possible to transfer
section formatting (which includes page orientation and margins) by copying
and pasting a section break. It should therefore be theoretically possible
to save a section break as an AutoText entry.

Alternatively, you could record a macro to set the required margins.

/

"Cocksy Boy" wrote:

Hi there all,

I am using word 2007 and want to add a number of custom margin
settings, or
change the 'microsoft default' margin settings.

Basically, I have 3 or 4 page layouts (with different margins) that i
use
for work, and none of them are the same as any of the microsoft
standard
margin settings. At the moment, every time i need to change the margin,
need to type the settings in manually.

What i want to do is save my 4 settings and add them to the 5 existing
'standard' options, or failing that, change the 5 existing microsoft
settings
to my own ones.

Is there any way to do this? Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cocksy Boy Cocksy Boy is offline

I haven't tried the copy & paste methd, but may do that. I quite like the
idea of a macro to change the margins - not sure if the work PCs will allow
the use of Macros, but I'll have a look on monday.

These are all good ideas, but it seems to me that it should be a setting
that would allow these paramters to be changed by the user, without some
'work-around'.

I'm sure you could save a bunch of custom margins settings in previous
versions of word - but I may be wrong there!!

What was going to be your suggestion Steven?

"Cocksy Boy" wrote:

Hi there all,

I am using word 2007 and want to add a number of custom margin
settings, or
change the 'microsoft default' margin settings.

Basically, I have 3 or 4 page layouts (with different margins) that i
use
for work, and none of them are the same as any of the microsoft
standard
margin settings. At the moment, every time i need to change the margin,
need to type the settings in manually.

What i want to do is save my 4 settings and add them to the 5 existing
'standard' options, or failing that, change the 5 existing microsoft
settings
to my own ones.

Is there any way to do this? Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Actually, previous versions of Word didn't have anything remotely comparable
to the Margins gallery in Word 2007, which is completely new. The only way
to get different margins was either to change them in Page Setup or start
with a different template.

"Cocksy Boy" wrote:

Hi there all,

I am using word 2007 and want to add a number of custom margin
settings, or
change the 'microsoft default' margin settings.

Basically, I have 3 or 4 page layouts (with different margins) that
use
for work, and none of them are the same as any of the microsoft
standard
margin settings. At the moment, every time i need to change the
margin,
need to type the settings in manually.

What i want to do is save my 4 settings and add them to the 5
existing
'standard' options, or failing that, change the 5 existing microsoft
settings
to my own ones.

Is there any way to do this? Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Suzanne's suggestion to store custom section settings in a Word 2007 building block gallery (Quickparts, AutoText, etc) may be one
of the most straight forward approachs and doesn't require the use of macros, which, as you mentioned, may not be allowed at work

The Word 2007 Gallery presets for
Page Layout=Page Setup=Margins
are handled a bit differently than many of the 'building block' galleries in Word 2007.

There are seven named settings.

Last Custom Setting
Normal
Narrow
Moderate
Wide
Mirrored
Office 2003 Default

The 'Last Custom Margin Setting' (from the Page Setup Dialog) is stored in the registry at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Options
(Decimal value of 914,400 = 1")

(Other Office apps have a similar registry setting for the 'Last Custom Margin Setting')

the other six appear to be stored internally in the program. 'Normal', in this 'named margins setting' context, is not a reference
to the current default setting of the 'Normal' template, but a fixed name description of the 'out of the box' [normal] setting for
Word 2007.

If you open a document, or create a new document from a template, or if your typing cursor is in a Section of the and the margins
do not match any of the named 7 dwarfs then nothing will be highlighted in the Margins dropdown.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP