Hiking

Default Date mail merge field shows as serial

Hello all,

I have a Word document with a mail merge field which picks up a date
from an Excel document, so whatever date is in the Excel document is
merged into the Word document.

This used to work fine before we upgraded from MS Office 2000 to MS
Office XP. Now the imported/merged date shows as a serial number. I've
looked in the menus and also right-clicked on the field in question in
my Word document to try to edit the field's properties, but find no
where to change the way the date will display.

Any suggestion appreciated. Thanks.

Hiking

Graham Mayor wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm and/or the Excel data
section of http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm

One of those links suggested that the solution was to revert to DDE
connection to Excel, though the instructions were not complete, I did
figure out a way to get it done.

Thank you very much, I never would have suspected that MS would have
completely changed the way Word connects to Excel... what a bunch!

Hiking

Graham Mayor wrote:

In what way was my web site instruction incomplete? It even includes
illustrations!

Sorry Graham, been non-stop busy with big project here at work. I had
been using Office 2000 here all along, and a co-worker has Office XP, so
I decided to install and try, then had productivity slow-downs as a
result of variations in the packages (little behavioral changes and
such), so just uninstalled Office XP and re-installed Office 2000 in
order to get back to work.

When we're done with this project and the workload lightens, I'll try
the XP version again and give you more details on whatever it was that I
was prompted, or selection that I wasn't certain of between the
screenshots you have on your site. Possibly there is nothing missing,
possibly I'd missed a detail in the instruction you have on the site.
I'll let you know.

Graham Mayor

Please do that. If the web page isn't clear, I would like to make it so.
However over the next few months I am in the throes of relocating to another
country so my access to the groups will be spasmodic. Forward your
observations to the link on my web site to be sure that I will pick them up.