Tokyo_Charlie

Default How do I automate fields in Word Docs

I would like to create a fields in word that automatically fill from data
located in other areas of the document. These other areas would act as a
resources for like infomation that is repeated through out the document. In
example, If I type the title of x widget on the coverpage, I would expect
that word to appear within other areas linked to the resource or key field.
Is this possible?

Tokyo_Charlie

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the Bookmark trick and it's a valid
solution if your could lock them down to prevent deletion. If you have any
tips to prevent the deletion of these...please let me know. Unfortunatley, I
can't turn the doc to a form as it's a project plan that needs to remain
within the "word" state. A good sample of the use I'm looking for can be
found hehttp://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...891651033.aspx.
As the top page project plan name would repeat throughout the document in the
ideal solution. I will look into your other suggestions as they require
deeper examination to fit the need.
Again, many thanks... from an ex-gunner!

Tokyo_Charlie wrote:
I would like to create a fields in word that automatically fill from
data located in other areas of the document. These other areas would
act as a resources for like infomation that is repeated through out
the document. In example, If I type the title of x widget on the
coverpage, I would expect that word to appear within other areas
linked to the resource or key field. Is this possible?

Graham Mayor

A userform to gather the input and populate the document seems to be the
answer. There is plenty of information on creating userforms on the MVPS web
site linked from my sig.

Tokyo_Charlie wrote:
I would like to create a fields in word that automatically fill from
data located in other areas of the document. These other areas would
act as a resources for like infomation that is repeated through out
the document. In example, If I type the title of x widget on the
coverpage, I would expect that word to appear within other areas
linked to the resource or key field. Is this possible?

Charles Kenyon

If your project name is formatted in its own style (Title or Heading 1) that
is not used elsewhere, you could use a StyleRef field. Otherwise, if
formatted in a heading style, you could use Insert Cross Reference to
insert the same text elsewhere.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Tokyo_Charlie wrote:
I would like to create a fields in word that automatically fill from
data located in other areas of the document. These other areas would
act as a resources for like infomation that is repeated through out
the document. In example, If I type the title of x widget on the
coverpage, I would expect that word to appear within other areas
linked to the resource or key field. Is this possible?

Jay

... I was aware of the Bookmark trick and it's a
valid solution if your could lock them down to prevent deletion. If
you have any tips to prevent the deletion of these...please let me
know. ...

Instead of using a bookmark as the source of the repeated text, you could
use text values stored in
File Properties Custom
There, you can define name=value pairs like ProjectName=widget.

Then, for each repetition, you can use
Insert Field Document Information Doc Property
Also click Options and choose the property of interest; then click "Add to
field" and "OK".

(After the first time, you can copy and paste the field rather than going
through all the steps.)

The text value might be deleted if somebody deliberately goes into the file
properties, but it won't be deleted inadvertently by somebody editing the
document text.

(I have Word 97.)