Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DarlainSanDiego DarlainSanDiego is offline

Default Page numbering Sections without counting Section 1 in the total

I need to creat a file that has two sections. Section 1 is an Abstract and
Section 2 is the Narrative. I have created the sections and inserted page
numbering (x of y) in the footer of section 2. The Narrative is to be no
longer than 20 pages.

The Abstract €“ Section 1 €“ no footer at all, but on the status line it will
say Sec 1, 1/20.

Narrative €“ Section 2 €“ should have footer that says 1 of 20, etc. It does
that just fine€¦. But when you manually count the actual pages, there are 19
in the Narrative€¦.. its counting the Abstract also. On the first page of
the Narrative the status line reads Sec 2, 2/20

How can I make it quit counting the Abstract in the total number of pages?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In the footer pane, press Alt+F9 to display field codes. Change the NumPages
field to SectionPages. Alt+F9 again, then F9 to update.

"DarlainSanDiego" wrote in
message ...
I need to creat a file that has two sections. Section 1 is an Abstract and
Section 2 is the Narrative. I have created the sections and inserted page
numbering (x of y) in the footer of section 2. The Narrative is to be no
longer than 20 pages.

The Abstract - Section 1 - no footer at all, but on the status line it
will
say Sec 1, 1/20.

Narrative - Section 2 - should have footer that says 1 of 20, etc. It
does
that just fine.. But when you manually count the actual pages, there are
19
in the Narrative... it's counting the Abstract also. On the first page of
the Narrative the status line reads Sec 2, 2/20

How can I make it quit counting the Abstract in the total number of pages?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DarlainSanDiego DarlainSanDiego is offline

Default Page numbering Sections without counting Section 1 in the tota

Thank You, Suzanne!!! That worked beautifully. I will spread this
information around to all the folks who have been asking. Thanks, again
~Darla

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Note that this works only if you have a single section to count. If you had
five sections and wanted to omit only Section 1 from the count, then you'd
need a different solution (bookmark and PAGEREF field).

"DarlainSanDiego" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DarlainSanDiego DarlainSanDiego is offline

Luckily I don't have to do that.... yet! If I do and have a problem, I will
be sure to ask for additional assistance. Thanks again!
~Darla

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SarahJ SarahJ is offline

I actually have to this situation where I have 10 sections and want to omit 1
and 2. Can you explain how to accomplish this.......Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Assuming your page numbering begins at 1 in Section 3 and runs continuously
to the end of Section 10 (not restarting each section), put a bookmark
somewhere on the last page where it won't be deleted inadvertently (and will
be sure to stay on the last page). Then, instead of either NumPages or
SectionPages, use a PageRef referring to the bookmark (Insert | Reference |
Cross-reference to Page number of Bookmark).

news