Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sammy Sammy is offline

Default Page numbers in TOC not showing up correctly

Hi,

I have a document with 2 sections, in the first section the page numbering
was added using the Header/Footer toolbar. I simply centered the page number
and it comes out in the TOC fine. In section 2, I have exhibits, with page
numbering "A-1, A-2". The "A" portion of the page number isn't showing up in
the TOC, only the number. I've tried using the Insert Page Number feature
and put the "A" in the text box but this doesn't work either. I've played
with all TOC options. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The only way to have the A show up in the TOC is to add it using the
"Include chapter number" option in the Format Page Number dialog; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm. This means that the A
must come from the paragraph number of one of Word's built-in heading
styles; see
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html

"Sammy" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a document with 2 sections, in the first section the page numbering
was added using the Header/Footer toolbar. I simply centered the page
number
and it comes out in the TOC fine. In section 2, I have exhibits, with
page
numbering "A-1, A-2". The "A" portion of the page number isn't showing up
in
the TOC, only the number. I've tried using the Insert Page Number feature
and put the "A" in the text box but this doesn't work either. I've played
with all TOC options. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Sammy Sammy is offline

Thanks for replying, I read your links. I'm using the Heading styles to
number paragraphs in the document, I can't possibly pull the "A" from any of
the paragraphs formatting with Heading styles. The A in my page numbering
comes from "Exhibit A" which is the title of the page. Is there any way
around this at all?? Thanks