Doc White

Default Word Batch Printing Failure

Hello! I have folders that contain many, one-page Word documents in them. I
used to be able to highlight a block of file names in the directory window,
then right-click and tell the files to print. Word would open up in a
background mode and print the files quickly and cleanly.

That feature no longer works for me. I'm using Office 2003 on XP Home, and
I know this feature worked 2 months ago. Since then, Windows has performed
several automatic updates, mostly security updates. My Word has not been
updated, as far as I know.

Is there some setting I need to check? How can I reactivate this fine
feature? It's a real pain to open each file individually and print.

I posted this first on the Windows XP boards, they referred me over here.

Thanks In advance for any assistance.
--
Dr. Mitchell R. White
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Hi Doc-

No answers, just questions... What versions of Word& Windows? Is this from
the Open dialog box in Word, an Explorerer window, or both? What
_does/doesn't_ happen when you try - No contextual mwnu when you rt+click,
menu's OK but Word doesn't launch, Word launches but won't print...? Any
error messages?

Regards |:)

"Doc White" wrote:

Hello! I have folders that contain many, one-page Word documents in them. I
used to be able to highlight a block of file names in the directory window,
then right-click and tell the files to print. Word would open up in a
background mode and print the files quickly and cleanly.

That feature no longer works for me. I'm using Office 2003 on XP Home, and
I know this feature worked 2 months ago. Since then, Windows has performed
several automatic updates, mostly security updates. My Word has not been
updated, as far as I know.

Is there some setting I need to check? How can I reactivate this fine
feature? It's a real pain to open each file individually and print.

I posted this first on the Windows XP boards, they referred me over here.

Thanks In advance for any assistance.
--
Dr. Mitchell R. White

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doc White

Yo Taz, thanks for asking the clarifiers. I'm using Office 2003 Standard,
under Windows XP. The window I have open is the directory where the files
reside; not from Windows Explorer, but from clicking on My Computer C Drive
Folder. If I highlight just 1 filename and right-click, I can print that

file: Word 2003 opens normally and prints the file quickly, then closes. If
I try the same thing with 2 or more files, nothing happens. No error
messages, no Word opening, nothing. I have attempted to follow this
operation using the Windows Task Manager, and even there nothing appears to
be happening. No new apps open, no new services, and the CPU stays at about
1% utilization.

What's interesting is, I get the same popup menu when I right-click on a
block of 2 files (or more) as when I rt-click on 1. Just no action takes
place if there is more than 1 file highlighted. I'm still confused by the
fact that this "trick" worked well in the past, I could print as many as 50
files at one time this way, all with a simple procedure.

So basically, I get the same menu options for multiple files as for 1 file,
but I get action only when 1 file is highlighted. And it used to work okay...
--
Dr. Mitchell R. White

"Doc White" wrote:

Hello! I have folders that contain many, one-page Word documents in them. I
used to be able to highlight a block of file names in the directory window,
then right-click and tell the files to print. Word would open up in a
background mode and print the files quickly and cleanly.

That feature no longer works for me. I'm using Office 2003 on XP Home, and
I know this feature worked 2 months ago. Since then, Windows has performed
several automatic updates, mostly security updates. My Word has not been
updated, as far as I know.

Is there some setting I need to check? How can I reactivate this fine
feature? It's a real pain to open each file individually and print.

I posted this first on the Windows XP boards, they referred me over here.

Thanks In advance for any assistance.
--
Dr. Mitchell R. White

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

Well, Doc, I don't know exactly what to say. I just tried the process on a
configuration similar to what you describe... Word '03, Win XP Pro, selected
about 6 docs & it went through the paces as you would expect. True regardless
of whether Word was already running or not.

I have the impression that the problem is _not_ with Word, since it works if
you only select one file. (BTW- the 'folder' window you describe is an
Explorer window - not to be confused with Internet Explorer - as opposed to
being in Word, going to FileOpen & tryingto do the same from there.)

Try printing multiple files of a different type (even if you just dummy some
up using NotePad) & see if that makes any difference. If that doesn't work,
either, there is something amiss with the OS. In which case you may want to
repost on the XP ng (just don't mention Word again) if you don't get any
further clarification here.

Regards |:)

"Doc White" wrote:

Hello! I have folders that contain many, one-page Word documents in them. I
used to be able to highlight a block of file names in the directory window,
then right-click and tell the files to print. Word would open up in a
background mode and print the files quickly and cleanly.

That feature no longer works for me. I'm using Office 2003 on XP Home, and
I know this feature worked 2 months ago. Since then, Windows has performed
several automatic updates, mostly security updates. My Word has not been
updated, as far as I know.

Is there some setting I need to check? How can I reactivate this fine
feature? It's a real pain to open each file individually and print.

I posted this first on the Windows XP boards, they referred me over here.

Thanks In advance for any assistance.
--
Dr. Mitchell R. White

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doc White

Thanks, Taz. I tried a few other types, no dice. Yes, it used to work
nicely. And still works on my laptop with nearly identical configuration.
So it's clearly some little thing, and I agree, not a Word issue. However, I
posted over at Win XP groups and they directed me over here. So I guess I go
back over there and whine, er, try again.

Best regards--

Doc
--
Dr. Mitchell R. White

"Doc White" wrote:

Hello! I have folders that contain many, one-page Word documents in them. I
used to be able to highlight a block of file names in the directory window,
then right-click and tell the files to print. Word would open up in a
background mode and print the files quickly and cleanly.

That feature no longer works for me. I'm using Office 2003 on XP Home, and
I know this feature worked 2 months ago. Since then, Windows has performed
several automatic updates, mostly security updates. My Word has not been
updated, as far as I know.

Is there some setting I need to check? How can I reactivate this fine
feature? It's a real pain to open each file individually and print.

I posted this first on the Windows XP boards, they referred me over here.

Thanks In advance for any assistance.
--
Dr. Mitchell R. White

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doc White

Taz,

The problem was inside the registry, probably caused by a third-party
program such as an AV prog. David Candy over at the XP groups got me over
the hump!

Thanks for your help...
--
Dr. Mitchell R. White

"Doc White" wrote:

Hello! I have folders that contain many, one-page Word documents in them. I
used to be able to highlight a block of file names in the directory window,
then right-click and tell the files to print. Word would open up in a
background mode and print the files quickly and cleanly.

That feature no longer works for me. I'm using Office 2003 on XP Home, and
I know this feature worked 2 months ago. Since then, Windows has performed
several automatic updates, mostly security updates. My Word has not been
updated, as far as I know.

Is there some setting I need to check? How can I reactivate this fine
feature? It's a real pain to open each file individually and print.

I posted this first on the Windows XP boards, they referred me over here.

Thanks In advance for any assistance.
--
Dr. Mitchell R. White

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SysAdmin_KS

Doc White - can you please provide the "Fix" provided by David Candy?
I'm experiencing the identical problem and your discussion is the ONLY
reference to this problem anywhere....

TIA

"Doc White" wrote:

Hello! I have folders that contain many, one-page Word documents in them. I
used to be able to highlight a block of file names in the directory window,
then right-click and tell the files to print. Word would open up in a
background mode and print the files quickly and cleanly.

That feature no longer works for me. I'm using Office 2003 on XP Home, and
I know this feature worked 2 months ago. Since then, Windows has performed
several automatic updates, mostly security updates. My Word has not been
updated, as far as I know.

Is there some setting I need to check? How can I reactivate this fine
feature? It's a real pain to open each file individually and print.

I posted this first on the Windows XP boards, they referred me over here.

Thanks In advance for any assistance.
--
Dr. Mitchell R. White

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement