Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
sksmith2517 sksmith2517 is offline

Default Merge to Directory

In Word 2003, under the Mail Merge Task Pane there's a DIRECTORY option. I
want to merge our personnel database into a directory. I want a 2 column
layout with the Family name & Phone Number on line one followed with 3
indented lines of info (Address, names, etc).

The way I'm trying this I'm not getting any layout options - the output is
simply line after line.

When I do a label merge I get the fields and can enter precisely what I
want. But since there's an Option for Directory I thought that's what I
should be using.

What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A directory merge simply reproduces everything on the page for each record
without a page break. In this case set the source document as two columns
and at the head of the first column enter and format the record layout that
you wish to achieve. Merge to a new document.

sksmith2517 wrote:
In Word 2003, under the Mail Merge Task Pane there's a DIRECTORY
option. I want to merge our personnel database into a directory. I
want a 2 column layout with the Family name & Phone Number on line
one followed with 3 indented lines of info (Address, names, etc).

The way I'm trying this I'm not getting any layout options - the
output is simply line after line.

When I do a label merge I get the fields and can enter precisely what
I want. But since there's an Option for Directory I thought that's
what I should be using.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
sksmith2517 sksmith2517 is offline

Yep. I was able to format the paragraphs exactly how I wanted and then it
merged into a new doc - I just didn't go that final step. Thanx

sksmith2517 wrote:
In Word 2003, under the Mail Merge Task Pane there's a DIRECTORY
option. I want to merge our personnel database into a directory. I
want a 2 column layout with the Family name & Phone Number on line
one followed with 3 indented lines of info (Address, names, etc).

The way I'm trying this I'm not getting any layout options - the
output is simply line after line.

When I do a label merge I get the fields and can enter precisely what
I want. But since there's an Option for Directory I thought that's
what I should be using.

What am I doing wrong?

Mail Merge - Directory ccbretz Mailmerge 1 July 15th 06 10:13 PM
Mail Merge - Directory Dee Mailmerge 2 May 24th 06 01:23 AM
how do I do a label merge using a directory? Lfelixthekat Mailmerge 3 April 26th 06 01:57 AM
Merge a directory COZWO Mailmerge 2 September 20th 05 06:30 AM
More Info On Directory Merge Please JohnB Mailmerge 14 September 6th 05 01:27 PM