Ina Schomaker

Default Selecting MACROBUTTON field selects also section break

I'm using Word 2000. I have a MACROBUTTON NoMacro field, directly
followed by a continuous section break.

Example:
{MACROBUTTON NoMacro [Please click here an type]} Section Break
(Continuous)

IfI click anywhere on the text "Please click here and type" not only
the Macrobutton field gets selected, but also the section break,
replacing BOTH with whatever is typed. So, the section break AND its
formatting get lost.

How can I prevent this?

Many thanks,
Ina Schomaker

Ina Schomaker

The section break is not inside the field. There is a paragraph break
between the field and the section break, this doesn't help. Two paragraph
breaks seem to help, but for layout reasons I cannot use this solution. I
also tried to insert multiple spaces between the Macrobutton field and the
section break, this doesn't help.

So, thanks for the suggestions, Suzanne, but they don't help. I hope you
have another good idea?

Thanks, Ina

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Is it possible that you inadvertently got the section break inside the
field? If not, try inserting a paragraph break (or at least a space)
between
the field and the section break.

so
all may benefit.

"Ina Schomaker" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2000. I have a MACROBUTTON NoMacro field, directly
followed by a continuous section break.

Example:
{MACROBUTTON NoMacro [Please click here an type]} Section Break
(Continuous)

IfI click anywhere on the text "Please click here and type" not only
the Macrobutton field gets selected, but also the section break,
replacing BOTH with whatever is typed. So, the section break AND its
formatting get lost.

How can I prevent this?

Many thanks,
Ina Schomaker

If you like, send a *small* sample to me, and I will examine it.

"Ina Schomaker" wrote in message
The section break is not inside the field. There is a paragraph break
between the field and the section break, this doesn't help. Two paragraph
breaks seem to help, but for layout reasons I cannot use this solution. I
also tried to insert multiple spaces between the Macrobutton field and the
section break, this doesn't help.

So, thanks for the suggestions, Suzanne, but they don't help. I hope you
have another good idea?

Thanks, Ina

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Is it possible that you inadvertently got the section break inside the
field? If not, try inserting a paragraph break (or at least a space)
between
the field and the section break.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Ina Schomaker" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2000. I have a MACROBUTTON NoMacro field, directly
followed by a continuous section break.

Example:
{MACROBUTTON NoMacro [Please click here an type]} Section Break
(Continuous)

IfI click anywhere on the text "Please click here and type" not only
the Macrobutton field gets selected, but also the section break,
replacing BOTH with whatever is typed. So, the section break AND its
formatting get lost.

How can I prevent this?

Many thanks,
Ina Schomaker

Graham Mayor

I can reproduce this here, and the only formatting that allows normal field
selection seems to be a second paragraph break. Double clicking the field
works for me also.

Ina Schomaker wrote:
The section break is not inside the field. There is a paragraph break
between the field and the section break, this doesn't help. Two
paragraph breaks seem to help, but for layout reasons I cannot use
this solution. I also tried to insert multiple spaces between the
Macrobutton field and the section break, this doesn't help.

So, thanks for the suggestions, Suzanne, but they don't help. I hope
you have another good idea?

Thanks, Ina

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Is it possible that you inadvertently got the section break inside
the field? If not, try inserting a paragraph break (or at least a
space) between
the field and the section break.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Ina Schomaker" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2000. I have a MACROBUTTON NoMacro field, directly
followed by a continuous section break.

Example:
{MACROBUTTON NoMacro [Please click here an type]} Section Break
(Continuous)

IfI click anywhere on the text "Please click here and type" not only
the Macrobutton field gets selected, but also the section break,
replacing BOTH with whatever is typed. So, the section break AND its
formatting get lost.

How can I prevent this?

Many thanks,
Ina Schomaker

Ina Schomaker

Graham,

It is true that double clicking the field does work. But it is not a good
solution to me. I want to use this in a template that is being used by many
people. We use macrobutton fields in a lot of our other templates, the
people are used to clicking once on such a field.

With kind regards,
Ina Schomaker

Ina Schomaker wrote:
[...]

Graham Mayor

If you can't find an alternative solution, (and I can't think of one) then
you could change the message the Macrobutton displays to advise users to
double click. Oddly enough while testing further, whether or not the field
or the field and the section break are selected can depend on what part of
the text is clicked. Click at the beginning and the field is selected, at
the end and the section break joins it. Bizarre

Ina Schomaker wrote:
[...]

Hmm, I didn't try clicking in different places. What I discovered was that:

1. An extra paragraph mark solves the problem.

2. Given that an empty paragraph is not an acceptable workaround, I tried
selecting one or the other of the paragraph marks and formatting it as
Hidden. It was happy to accept the formatting, but this didn't make it
disappear.

3. If, however, I typed a space before the paragraph mark and formatted both
space and paragraph mark as Hidden, it did vanish.

4. BUT this worked only in a new document I had created, not in the sample
Ina sent me. Very bizarre.