Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
kell~0 kell~0 is offline

Default Calculating average in a table

Okay, I'll try to make this as clear as I can. Please ask any related
questions. I wish we could have built this form in excel.

This is a performance evaluation. The evaluator will enter a number in one
of 10 objective tables, that number will populate into the corresponding cell
in the rating table. They would like the average of the list of numbers in
the rating table to calculate.

Our IT security policy will not allow macros.

Kell~0
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Calculating average in a table

Hi Kell~0,

I understand that you need to calculate the average of a list of numbers in a rating table in Microsoft Word. Here are the steps you can follow:
  1. Select the cells that contain the numbers you want to average.
  2. Go to the Layout tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the Formula button in the Data section.
  4. In the Formula dialog box, select Average from the Function drop-down list.
  5. Make sure the range of cells you want to average is correct in the Range field.
  6. Click OK to close the dialog box.
  7. The average of the selected cells will be displayed in the cell where you placed the formula.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Okay, let's say your 10 numbers are in cells A1 to A10. The formula you need
would be:

{ = SUM(A1:A10)/10 }

"kell~0" wrote in message
Okay, I'll try to make this as clear as I can. Please ask any related
questions. I wish we could have built this form in excel.

This is a performance evaluation. The evaluator will enter a number in

one
of 10 objective tables, that number will populate into the corresponding

cell
in the rating table. They would like the average of the list of numbers

in
the rating table to calculate.

Our IT security policy will not allow macros.

Kell~0

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Kell,

If there are no gaps in the table between the 'average' row and the first row, you could use a formula field coded as:
{=AVERAGE(ABOVE)} or {=AVERAGE(BELOW)} to average the column; or
{=AVERAGE(LEFT)} or {=AVERAGE(RIGHT)} to average the row
Put the formula at the bottom, top, right or left, respectively.

If there are gaps in the range, you could use a formula field coded as:
{=AVERAGE(A1,A3, A5,A7,A9)} or {=AVERAGE(A1,A3, A5:A9)} or {=AVERAGE(A1,A3:A4, A6:A9)}
whe
.. 'A1,A3, A5,A7,A9' lists the individual cells;
.. 'A3:A9' lists the range of cells; and
.. 'A1,A3:A4, A6:A9' lists a combination of individual cells and ranges,
to be averaged.

Cheers

--
macropod