Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
song.exe

Default Times New Roman as Deafult?

Since Times New Roman at 12 pt is accepted as the standard font for academic
papers, and most documents in general, would it not be wise to change the
deafult font upon install from Calibri to Times? Although I do think Calibri
is nice, it's just not the modern "standard" (I use quotations becuase it is
still a personal preference) for fonts.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You may well find that the Microsoft standard will become the de facto
standard for academic papers, corporate documents, and everything else, if
only because most users won't know how to change it.

"song.exe" wrote in message
Since Times New Roman at 12 pt is accepted as the standard font for

academic
papers, and most documents in general, would it not be wise to change the
deafult font upon install from Calibri to Times? Although I do think

Calibri
is nice, it's just not the modern "standard" (I use quotations becuase it

is
still a personal preference) for fonts.

----------------

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vin

I'm finding that the cleaner fonts: microsoft sans serif, for instance as
well as callibri are easier to read on a screen...and therefore may become
the standard...my students don't like Times New Roman but do like the others
mentioned.
--
Vin

"song.exe" wrote in message
Since Times New Roman at 12 pt is accepted as the standard font for

academic
papers, and most documents in general, would it not be wise to change the
deafult font upon install from Calibri to Times? Although I do think

Calibri
is nice, it's just not the modern "standard" (I use quotations becuase it

is
still a personal preference) for fonts.

----------------

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton

I agree with both points.

I've made some comparisons between the old defaults and new defaults.

Old: Times New Roman 12 pts, single line spacing, and typically there
is an empty paragraph to create space between paragraphs
New: Calibri 11 pts, 1.15 line spacing, and 10 pts of space between
paragraphs rather than empty paragraphs.

Using the new defaults actually takes up slightly less space on the
page and I find it easier to read even with the smaller font size.

I also tested this using the old defaults and 12 pts of space between
paragraphs and the new default still takes up less space.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You may well find that the Microsoft standard will become the de
facto
standard for academic papers, corporate documents, and everything
else, if
only because most users won't know how to change it.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"song.exe" wrote in message
Since Times New Roman at 12 pt is accepted as the standard font
for

academic
papers, and most documents in general, would it not be wise to
change the
deafult font upon install from Calibri to Times? Although I do
think

Calibri
is nice, it's just not the modern "standard" (I use quotations
becuase it

is
still a personal preference) for fonts.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds
to the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow

this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tex Steel Tex Steel is offline

I'm writing academic papers and am trying to get Times, 12 pt, and single
line spacing as the default. I've changed the Normal.dotm template, but
here's the weird thing: If I open a new Word document through the start menu
I get Times, 12 pt and single line spacing from my Normal template, BUT if I
open a new Word document by right clicking on my desktop, selecting New, and
selecting Microsoft Office Word Document then I get Calibri, 11pt and 1.15
line spacing. What do I have to change to get all my new Word documents to
look the same?
--
Tex