Mary Lee

Default Using captions to create a list of figures in the TOC

I am using a caption style to create a table of figures. There are three
levels of indents in the text, and I have lined up the figures with the level
of indenting of the preceeding text.

Since I can only select one style in the Table of Figures Options box, I
tried to just move my margins as needed at each figure, but each time I move
a margin, all of the margins for that style are automatically moving -
without me updating the style. So I tried lining up the captions with tabs.
The tabs do not come out in the table of figures, but they show up in every
cross-reference in the document. When I take them out and close the document
and open it again, there they are again. This is obviously not the correct
approach. How can I get my caption margins at three different levels and
build a single table of figures?

Thanks,
--
Mary Lee

You won't be able to accomplish what you want with the Table of Figures.
You'll need to use a Table of Contents instead, assigning a different
outline level to each style and then modifying the TOC 1, TOC 2, and TOC 3
styles as needed. Note that the TOC styles are set to update automatically
(and the TOF uses only one style), which is why you're seeing the results
you do.