Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
barrie barrie is offline

Default How many files can be open?

Can someone please tell me if there is a limit to the number of files that
can be open at once in Word 2007? Is it a function of Virtual memory size?
Is there a built-in limit in Word?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Barrie wrote:
Can someone please tell me if there is a limit to the number of files that
can be open at once in Word 2007? Is it a function of Virtual memory size?
Is there a built-in limit in Word?

if I read the following article correct, there isn't:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211489/en-us

"Number of open windows Limited only by available memory"

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
barrie barrie is offline

Thank you, Robert. It seems that, as you indicate, the number of open
documents in Word is limited by factors other than the software itself. On
the other hand, if one is using the Master Document/Subdocument process, then
the limit is 255 subdocuments.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Barrie wrote:
Can someone please tell me if there is a limit to the number of files that
can be open at once in Word 2007? Is it a function of Virtual memory size?
Is there a built-in limit in Word?

if I read the following article correct, there isn't:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211489/en-us

"Number of open windows Limited only by available memory"

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
barrie barrie is offline

I got an error message when I sent my first response so here goes again.
Thank you Robert for your response. As you indicate, it looks as the limit
is set b y factors external to the software itself. On the other hand if one
is using the Master Document/Subdocument option then the limit is 255
sub-documents.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Barrie wrote:
Can someone please tell me if there is a limit to the number of files that
can be open at once in Word 2007? Is it a function of Virtual memory size?
Is there a built-in limit in Word?

if I read the following article correct, there isn't:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211489/en-us

"Number of open windows Limited only by available memory"

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you use Master/Sub documents, a feature which is broken in Word, you may
lose *all* your documents.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm