Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cvarner cvarner is offline

Default Is there a good way to generate a list of acronyms in Word 2007?

I have a Word document that contains a bunch of acronyms sprinkled throughout
the document. Is there an automatic way to search through the document for
all the acronyms used and generate a acronym list that I can then include
definitions for?
I thought maybe there was a field code for this but it doesn't seem to be
one specifically aimed at acronyms.
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello cvarner

cvarner wrote:
I have a Word document that contains a bunch of acronyms sprinkled throughout
the document. Is there an automatic way to search through the document for
all the acronyms used and generate a acronym list that I can then include
definitions for?
I thought maybe there was a field code for this but it doesn't seem to be
one specifically aimed at acronyms.

I'm not aware of any built-in way to generate such a list.

Maybe an index comes closest: you mark each entry in the book (XE
field), then generate an index from these (INDEX field), unlink the
result and then add the definitions. But this isn't dynamic anymore.
Plus: the effort to mark the word and create a index probably exceeds
the simple copy/paste into your won acronym list.

If there is a given syntax that all acronyms match (like: always upper
case letters), a macro might be devised to search the whole document and
insert such acronyms into a list at the end.

0.2ΒΆ
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Third-party software may be the way to go. Look into AcroWizard. It collects
acronyms and their spellouts (definitions), suggests definitions (from a
local database or the web), and puts the acronyms and definitions in a table
with indicators for definition found in document, verification needed (for
its suggested definitions) , and definitions not found. It also has a few
editing tools such as find first occurrence. It is not free.

PamC

cvarner wrote:
I have a Word document that contains a bunch of acronyms sprinkled throughout
the document. Is there an automatic way to search through the document for
all the acronyms used and generate a acronym list that I can then include
definitions for?
I thought maybe there was a field code for this but it doesn't seem to be
one specifically aimed at acronyms.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There's a macro on my web site http://www.gmayor.com/word_vba_examples.htm
that will extract Acronyms from a document - albeit with some provisos
listed on the page.