Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PatJennings PatJennings is offline

Default Margin outside printable area

Using Word 2002.
I am receiving the following error message on many of the documents I have
composed: "The margins of section 1 are set outside the printable area of
the page. Do you want to continue?" When printed, the left margin of 8.5"
x 11" paper is 2.5". The margin that is set in the page layout dialogue box
is 1.25". The document text is truncated on the right side of the paper.

To the best of my ability, I cannot see that a section is defined anywhere
in the documents. One document is a mere table with a page header defined.

I have turned on the show/hide indicator. No section breaks are visible.

How do I correct these situations?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Documents with no section breaks are still Section 1. Go to Format |
Columns, make sure that "Whole document" is selected for "Apply to," and
click on the One preset picture (even if it appears to be already selected),
then OK. This should fix the problem.

"PatJennings" wrote in message
Using Word 2002.
I am receiving the following error message on many of the documents I have
composed: "The margins of section 1 are set outside the printable area of
the page. Do you want to continue?" When printed, the left margin of

8.5"
x 11" paper is 2.5". The margin that is set in the page layout dialogue

box
is 1.25". The document text is truncated on the right side of the paper.

To the best of my ability, I cannot see that a section is defined anywhere
in the documents. One document is a mere table with a page header

defined.

I have turned on the show/hide indicator. No section breaks are visible.

How do I correct these situations?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PatJennings PatJennings is offline

Thank you. It worked like a charm!.
Pat
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Documents with no section breaks are still Section 1. Go to Format |
Columns, make sure that "Whole document" is selected for "Apply to," and
click on the One preset picture (even if it appears to be already
selected),
then OK. This should fix the problem.

so
all may benefit.

"PatJennings" wrote in message
Using Word 2002.
I am receiving the following error message on many of the documents I
have
composed: "The margins of section 1 are set outside the printable area of
the page. Do you want to continue?" When printed, the left margin of

8.5"
x 11" paper is 2.5". The margin that is set in the page layout dialogue

box
is 1.25". The document text is truncated on the right side of the paper.

To the best of my ability, I cannot see that a section is defined
anywhere
in the documents. One document is a mere table with a page header

defined.

I have turned on the show/hide indicator. No section breaks are visible.

How do I correct these situations?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Glad to have helped. The problem arises from (ever) using the Columns button
on the Standard toolbar in some earlier versions, which doesn't check the
"Equal column width" box in the Columns dialog (that has been corrected in
later versions). The result is that you can get a single column whose size
won't adjust to the page size or two columns of which the first is margin
width or some other problem that Word can't figure out how to deal with.

"PatJennings" wrote in message
Thank you. It worked like a charm!.
Pat
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Documents with no section breaks are still Section 1. Go to Format |
Columns, make sure that "Whole document" is selected for "Apply to," and
click on the One preset picture (even if it appears to be already
selected),
then OK. This should fix the problem.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"PatJennings" wrote in message
Using Word 2002.
I am receiving the following error message on many of the documents I
have
composed: "The margins of section 1 are set outside the printable area

of
the page. Do you want to continue?" When printed, the left margin of

8.5"
x 11" paper is 2.5". The margin that is set in the page layout dialogue

box
is 1.25". The document text is truncated on the right side of the pape

r.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PatJennings PatJennings is offline

Dear Suzanne,
This problem has raised its head again. This time I know that the
document I am creating is by importing a table from an external program
which is not a Microsoft program. Likewise, the other problems which I
previously identified, and were corrected through your guidance were tables
that I copied from web-pages. Again, I was able to correct those. However,
after trying many times to implement your solution, I am left with it not
correcting. And again, when I trice to fix it by defining page margins,
error message to use the "fix it now" set the left margin at 2.75". Doing a
print preview and a print to paper showed a left-truncated table. That is,
the first column and part of the second column of the table did not print.
Do you have any ideas or recommendations for me?
Sincerely,
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PatJennings PatJennings is offline

This problem has now cropped up in many documents containing tables. For
example, I had two documents created from Word templates. The templates are
a Fax Transmittal Sheet (cover letter) and a Resume (my personal resume).
Previously, both documents printed correctly. Over the past few weeks, I
have altered both documents, modifying content, not format and saving them
to newly named files. On screen, all documents - both original and
modified, appear correctly, However, when printing, warnings appear
indicating that the margins are set outside printable space (don't recall
whatever the actual warning states). Either choosing to ignore or fix the
error does not help. The printed documents have the increased left side
margin, approx. 2.5" wide and the print is truncated on the right side. I
copied the body text from the fax document, excluding the data in the table
at top and pasted it to a notepad document. I then closed Word and rebooted
the computer. Then I restarted, opened Word and opened the Notepad
document. I added the data from the top table, i.e., Sent to, Sent from,
etc. to the document without formatting as a table. Just tabs, that sort of
thing. Printing was fine.

I cannot fix the important documents (fax and resume) or any of their
derivatives to print correctly. Nor can I seem to be able to "start over"
and I desperately need to find a solution.

Could this possibly be the results of a virus or something like that. IF
so, how do I determine and correct. I am using Windows Live OneCare as my
system virus protection program.