Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
grilljm4 grilljm4 is offline

Default Split TOC so it has various Section names not appearing in documen

I want my Table of Contents page to look like the following:

Management Reports (this text is not
linked to anything)
RMS Reports & Schedules...............1
Activity By Scheduler.......................3

View/Print Schedules (this text is not
linked to anything)
Department....................................5
Patient........................................... 6

Report Generation (this text is not
linked to anything)
Provider Summary..........................8

The 3 titles above are not actually in the document, but I can't get the TOC
to break so I can physically put these titles before the TOC that hyperlinks
to text that are. The titles are all on one page, but I can't get the TOC to
break. Is it possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The only practical way to accomplish this is to insert TC fields in the
document where you want the headings to appear in the TOC. You can omit page
numbers for these entries. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm for related issues.

The quick-and-dirty (but rather impractical) way to do this is to wait until
editing is complete, make sure that a change in length of the TOC won't
affect the page numbers in it, and then unlink the TOC (Ctrl+Shift+F9) and
insert the headings manually.

"grilljm4" wrote in message
I want my Table of Contents page to look like the following:

Management Reports (this text is not
linked to anything)
RMS Reports & Schedules...............1
Activity By Scheduler.......................3

View/Print Schedules (this text is

not
linked to anything)
Department....................................5
Patient........................................... 6

Report Generation (this text is not
linked to anything)
Provider Summary..........................8

The 3 titles above are not actually in the document, but I can't get the

TOC
to break so I can physically put these titles before the TOC that

hyperlinks
to text that are. The titles are all on one page, but I can't get the TOC

break. Is it possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Grilljm4:

You should be able to edit the TOC text just like any other text. Try
starting with a middle addition -- enter a your "View/Print" schedules
section title first. I suggest this because it's sometimes difficult to start
editing at the first character of the TOC.

If you can edit the middle, than you're in business. To edit the top, insert
your title In the middle of the word RMS, then backspace to get rid of the
unwanted characters before your title. You'll have to type the first part of
RMS back in on the next line, as well.

Remember that your manual changes to the TOC will be swept away any time you
update that TOC if you select Update Entire Table (but not if you just update
the page numbers only).

You can keep your changes by unlinking the TOC to make it plain text.
Position the insertion point anywhere in the TOC and press Ctrl + Shift +F9.
(Make sure you can recreate the TOC field if you need to before you do this.)

You can also consider adding your section titles in the body of the
document. They don't have to be big, or even visible. You can enter them in
tiny white characters. Provided you assign them a style that will be included
in the TOC, they'll appear there. You can create a custom style for the
headings, then customize the TOC to set those headings as TOC 1, and bump
your other headings down a TOC level with appropriate changes to the TOC 2
through N styles so things still look right.

There are other options, but these should get you started.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

"grilljm4" wrote:

I want my Table of Contents page to look like the following:

Management Reports (this text is not
linked to anything)
RMS Reports & Schedules...............1
Activity By Scheduler.......................3

View/Print Schedules (this text is not
linked to anything)
Department....................................5
Patient........................................... 6

Report Generation (this text is not
linked to anything)
Provider Summary..........................8

The 3 titles above are not actually in the document, but I can't get the TOC
to break so I can physically put these titles before the TOC that hyperlinks
to text that are. The titles are all on one page, but I can't get the TOC to
break. Is it possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
grilljm4 grilljm4 is offline

Default Split TOC so it has various Section names not appearing in doc

Thank you. I was just helping a coworker by inserting the TOC to her document
so I really didn't want to enter the title info in the document but also
don't want to worry about undoing it when a full update is performed. Thanks
for you help; at least I know that I will have to enter the title into the
document after all.

"grilljm4" wrote in message
I want my Table of Contents page to look like the following:

Management Reports (this text is not
linked to anything)
RMS Reports & Schedules...............1
Activity By Scheduler.......................3

View/Print Schedules (this text is

not
linked to anything)
Department....................................5
Patient........................................... 6

Report Generation (this text is not
linked to anything)
Provider Summary..........................8

The 3 titles above are not actually in the document, but I can't get the

TOC
to break so I can physically put these titles before the TOC that

hyperlinks
to text that are. The titles are all on one page, but I can't get the TOC

break. Is it possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
grilljm4 grilljm4 is offline

Thank you. First, please read my reply to Susan because it is more or less
the same here with the exception that I like your suggestion of entering
white text in the document so as not to change the look of my coworker's
document. I really like this sneaky way of getting around the problem until
Microsoft figures out a way to do it as a normal procedure. My coworker is a
loyal Wordperfect user and is always badmouthing Word because it doesn't do
everything perfect can. Hopefully she won't even notice this workaround.
Thanks again.

"grilljm4" wrote:

I want my Table of Contents page to look like the following:

Management Reports (this text is not
linked to anything)
RMS Reports & Schedules...............1
Activity By Scheduler.......................3

View/Print Schedules (this text is not
linked to anything)
Department....................................5
Patient........................................... 6

Report Generation (this text is not
linked to anything)
Provider Summary..........................8

The 3 titles above are not actually in the document, but I can't get the TOC
to break so I can physically put these titles before the TOC that hyperlinks
to text that are. The titles are all on one page, but I can't get the TOC to
break. Is it possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You don't have to insert the title per se, just a TC field that contains the
title. The TC field is Hidden text and will not show up in the document at
all. If you do use TC fields, remember that you have to check the box for
"Table entry fields" in the TOC Options dialog.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The only practical way to accomplish this is to insert TC fields in the
document where you want the headings to appear in the TOC. You can omit

page
numbers for these entries. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm for related issues.

The quick-and-dirty (but rather impractical) way to do this is to wait

until
editing is complete, make sure that a change in length of the TOC won't
affect the page numbers in it, and then unlink the TOC (Ctrl+Shift+F9)

and
insert the headings manually.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"grilljm4" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Word *has* this set up as a normal procedure--you use a TC field, which
is hidden by default, and will not change the look of the document
unless you are viewing hidden text, which does not print. This is why
TC fields exist, to do things like this.

Did you read the link Suzanne sent you to? It explains this.