Luci

Default Cannnot use the address book in mail merge

Since I purchased Mirosoft Works Suite, Word was updated to Office by
Microsoft. I cannot seem to use mail merge. Any ideas?
Anne Troy

What happens when you try, Luci? Word was never "updated to Office". Word is
sometimes part of Microsoft Works and sometimes not (from what I
understand). Can you give us a little more information about what happens
when you try to mail merge?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Luci" wrote in message
Since I purchased Mirosoft Works Suite, Word was updated to Office by
Microsoft. I cannot seem to use mail merge. Any ideas?

Graham Mayor

See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm however if
your subject title is a clue, Word is not compatible with the Outlook
Express address book.If you have Office, you will have Outlook. Use the
contacts list in that for your addresses
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

Luci wrote:
Since I purchased Mirosoft Works Suite, Word was updated to Office by
Microsoft. I cannot seem to use mail merge. Any ideas?

I think we need to know a bit more about what has actually happened here.
Did you purchase a computer with Works Suite (which includes Word) and then
apply an Office service pack to update the copy of Word in Works Suite? Or
did you install a later version of Office on the computer on which Works
Suite was already installed? If the latter, then one of two things happened:

1. Word 2002 (part of Works Suite) was updated to Word 2003.

2. The rest of Office 2003 was installed, but Word was not updated.

I know that when you install the *same* version of Office over Works Suite,
Word is not changed (it's still the Word from Works Suite, which still has a
different CD key from the rest of Office), but I would expect that a newer
version would in fact install Word 2003 over Word 2002. This would
effectively prevent you from using Word as part of Works Suite any more.
Here's why:

When you get Word as part of Works Suite, you also get the Microsoft Works
Suite Add-in for Word. As long as you start Word from within Works (using
the Works Task Launcher), you get a bunch of extra templates for Word, and
you can use the Works address book and databases as mail merge data sources
in Word. If you run Word freestanding (not starting it from within Works),
you run into a lot of problems caused by the add-in, so we generally advise
people to uninstall the add-in.

If you are now using Word 2003, there is no way for it to use the Works
address book and databases because the add-in doesn't work with Word 2003.
Nor can you use the Outlook Express address book. The only address book Word
can use is the Contacts list in Outlook.

"Luci" wrote in message
Since I purchased Mirosoft Works Suite, Word was updated to Office by
Microsoft. I cannot seem to use mail merge. Any ideas?

Luci

Thank you Suzanne for your input you sound like you are on the right track
when it comes to my problem. I had a previous verson of Microsoft Works I
installed, then last year I installed Microsoft Works 2004 version and as you
say I may well have installed a plug in.....now how do I go about unistalling
it? Should I just remove the whole program and start over? Will I not lose
the files I have saved by doing this?

"Luci" wrote in message
Since I purchased Mirosoft Works Suite, Word was updated to Office by
Microsoft. I cannot seem to use mail merge. Any ideas?

If you installed Microsoft Works Suite 2004, then it should have the
Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Word. Possibly it was not installed? In any
case, to be able to use this, you must start Word from the Works Task
Launcher (as I understand it), not from outside Works.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Luci" wrote in message
Since I purchased Mirosoft Works Suite, Word was updated to Office by
Microsoft. I cannot seem to use mail merge. Any ideas?

Luci

Thank you for making me think about what might have happened. It made the fix
easier. What I did was remove the plug-in and had no Word templates at all
for letters. So I reinstalled the plugin and then reinstalled Word and
everything is working properly....even my address book!!!!!!!!! Thanks!
......and no lost data!