Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jackie D

Default Strange printing problem in WD2003

Hi

Can someone please help?

I'm using Word 2003 with XP Home and an Epsom inkjet printer -

I've got a Word document that includes tables, pictures and text that I've
been working on, and printing from, for months. Suddenly, my text is all but
invisiible. There are faint marks where the text should be. But the headers
and footers and printing ok.
So I guess it's not the printer and I'm not out of ink.

Does anyone know what might be the problem? Any help would be much
appreciated. I work from home and I'm up against a tight deadline...
--

Many thanks
Jackie D
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jackie D Jackie D is offline

Sorry for being impatient but I could really do with some help here.

I have a bit more informationt that might help. I just tried to print
something off the Internet. All the big type (headings) and pictures/graphics
printed ok but not the body text of the article. Can anyone please help asap?
I have searched for a solution in the Word help files and in Microsoft
knowledge base but nothing is coming up.

Big thanks in advance
Jackie D
--

"Jackie D" wrote:

Hi

Can someone please help?

I'm using Word 2003 with XP Home and an Epsom inkjet printer -

I've got a Word document that includes tables, pictures and text that I've
been working on, and printing from, for months. Suddenly, my text is all but
invisiible. There are faint marks where the text should be. But the headers
and footers and printing ok.
So I guess it's not the printer and I'm not out of ink.

Does anyone know what might be the problem? Any help would be much
appreciated. I work from home and I'm up against a tight deadline...
--

Many thanks
Jackie D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Impatience is not going to make us any smarter. You haven't received an
answer because (I assume) no one can think of a plausible explanation for
what you're seeing. I assume you've checked to make sure that the body text
is not (a) Hidden, (b) in a light-colored font, or (c) in a text box with
"Drawing objects" not checked in the Print Options?

"Jackie D" wrote:

Hi

Can someone please help?

I'm using Word 2003 with XP Home and an Epsom inkjet printer -

I've got a Word document that includes tables, pictures and text that

I've
been working on, and printing from, for months. Suddenly, my text is all

but
invisiible. There are faint marks where the text should be. But the

headers
and footers and printing ok.
So I guess it's not the printer and I'm not out of ink.

Does anyone know what might be the problem? Any help would be much
appreciated. I work from home and I'm up against a tight deadline...
--

Many thanks
Jackie D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jackie D Jackie D is offline

Hi Suzanne

I was hoping you wouldn't say that! I always imagine that there's a simple
solution that I have been too short-sighted to see...

Anyway, drawing objects IS checked, the font is black (auto) but I don't
know how to check that the text isn't hidden. Can you help on that one? It
seems strange to me because header and footer text is visible. Any other
suggestions would be eagerly welcomed.
--

Many thanks
JD

"Jackie D" wrote:

Hi

Can someone please help?

I'm using Word 2003 with XP Home and an Epsom inkjet printer -

I've got a Word document that includes tables, pictures and text that

I've
been working on, and printing from, for months. Suddenly, my text is all

but
invisiible. There are faint marks where the text should be. But the

headers
and footers and printing ok.
So I guess it's not the printer and I'm not out of ink.

Does anyone know what might be the problem? Any help would be much
appreciated. I work from home and I'm up against a tight deadline...
--

Many thanks
Jackie D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A single letter can be hidden.

Highlight the text, Format - Font. Check to see if hidden is checked.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Impatience is not going to make us any smarter. You haven't received an
answer because (I assume) no one can think of a plausible explanation for
what you're seeing. I assume you've checked to make sure that the body
text
is not (a) Hidden, (b) in a light-colored font, or (c) in a text box with
"Drawing objects" not checked in the Print Options?

so
all may benefit.

"Jackie D" wrote:

Hi

Can someone please help?

I'm using Word 2003 with XP Home and an Epsom inkjet printer -

I've got a Word document that includes tables, pictures and text that

I've
been working on, and printing from, for months. Suddenly, my text is
all

but
invisiible. There are faint marks where the text should be. But the

headers
and footers and printing ok.
So I guess it's not the printer and I'm not out of ink.

Does anyone know what might be the problem? Any help would be much
appreciated. I work from home and I'm up against a tight deadline...
--

Many thanks
Jackie D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jackie D Jackie D is offline

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately 'hidden' isn't checked. The problem I am
having is not just with Word documents but also with text I print from the
Internet. I am wondering if the connection is tables. I dont' design web
pages but I wonder if tables are used in the layout? Therefore, the problem I
am having could lie in tables. Although I can't print from notepad either.

What do you think?
--

Many thanks
JD

"Jackie D" wrote:

Hi

Can someone please help?

I'm using Word 2003 with XP Home and an Epsom inkjet printer -

I've got a Word document that includes tables, pictures and text that
I've
been working on, and printing from, for months. Suddenly, my text is
all
but
invisiible. There are faint marks where the text should be. But the
headers
and footers and printing ok.
So I guess it's not the printer and I'm not out of ink.

Does anyone know what might be the problem? Any help would be much
appreciated. I work from home and I'm up against a tight deadline...
--

Many thanks
Jackie D

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Does the printer do anything when you try?

Do you have the printer plugged in and turned on? (I have to ask.)

Do you have that printer selected as your default printer?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Impatience is not going to make us any smarter. You haven't received
an
answer because (I assume) no one can think of a plausible explanation
for
what you're seeing. I assume you've checked to make sure that the body
text
is not (a) Hidden, (b) in a light-colored font, or (c) in a text box
with
"Drawing objects" not checked in the Print Options?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Jackie D" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jackie D Jackie D is offline

Hi

In Word I can print the text in headers and footers with no problem. But it
isn't printing anything else. It isn't printing from Word Pad either. If I
print info from the Internet, it will print pictures, graphics and headings
but, again, not the text.

I can see the text but when I print, I just see faint dots where the text
should be. This is truly bizarre. I can't think of any setting that I have
changed that would cause this to happen.
--

"Jackie D" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Jackie,

You may have a corrupted printer driver. Try restarting the PC, then in the printer properties see if the test page prints
correctly.

You may also want to use File=Print=Properties within Word to try different quality settings for the printer to see if anything
changes.

If none of these actions work, and you're experiencing this in more than one application, then you may want to visit the printer
manufacturer's website for an updated driver.

=========
"Jackie D" wrote in message news Hi

In Word I can print the text in headers and footers with no problem. But it
isn't printing anything else. It isn't printing from Word Pad either. If I
print info from the Internet, it will print pictures, graphics and headings
but, again, not the text.

I can see the text but when I print, I just see faint dots where the text
should be. This is truly bizarre. I can't think of any setting that I have
changed that would cause this to happen.
--
I hope this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office system products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

LINKS to the 2007 Office System

1. Read about it, try it, or watch the movie
the 2007 Microsoft Office system info,
online Test Drive, or downloadable beta is at
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

2. Already have 2007 Office System Beta 2?
Send Microsoft your feedback (with pictures)
http://sas.office.microsoft.com/

3. Use the 2007 OfficeOnline website without Office2007

a. Install the ActiveX access control
http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...XT101650581033
b. then visit http://officebeta.iponet.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jackie D Jackie D is offline

Ok. Should I feel foolish? Not sure. I'll let you decide! The driver wasn't
the problem. And changing the print quality made no difference.

Even though the Epson status monitor didn't alert me to the fact that my
black ink was out, and it looked half full according the Status Monitor
graphic, I changed the black cartridge anyway to see if that would solve the
problem. And, guess what? It did. The reason it was able to print pictures
and graphics was because they were in COLOUR. It was there under my nose all
the time.

Thank you to everyone who has tried to help me out with this 'strange'
problem but it was more straight-forward than I thought. And to think I
almost bought a new printer...
--

Many thanks
JD

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I was tempted to suggest checking the ink cartridges, but we often get
flamed for such suggestions (sort of like the "Are you sure it's plugged
in?" question the phone techs are required to start with).

"Jackie D" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sometimes you have to ask those questions. I'll bet everyone has had one of
those moments that makes you wonder what the heck you were thinking. ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Jackie D" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The whole ink cartridge situation can be frustratingly perverse, too. HP has
the charming practice of not printing colors properly when you need to
replace the black cartridge and vice versa. I don't understand either the
logic or the mechanics of that, but I have confirmed it many times.

.. .

"Jackie D" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jackie D Jackie D is offline

Hi Suzanne

I stupidly trusted the status monitor which indicated the ink was ok. Lesson
learnt!

--

Many thanks
JD

"Jackie D" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Some of the HP printers used to have a smiley face under the cover that
indicated ink level. I wish they still did.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]