Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR JR is offline

Default Word 2007 macro command buttons on toolbar

In Word 2003 I had a toolbar with macro buttons, each displaying text.
A) Is it possible to create a customised toolbar in 2007
B) Having put macro buttons on the Quick Access toolbar, how do you display
text instead of the macro icon?

--
Thanks
JR
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

JR wrote:
In Word 2003 I had a toolbar with macro buttons, each displaying text.
A) Is it possible to create a customised toolbar in 2007

No. If you import a Word 2003 template that contains a custom toolbar, it
will display in the Add-Ins tab (which is otherwise not present). There are
not, and cannot be, other toolbars in 2007.

B) Having put macro buttons on the Quick Access toolbar, how do you
display text instead of the macro icon?

You don't. The QAT allows icons only.

Visit http://www.pschmid.net/index.php to learn how to customize the Ribbon.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
renee renee is offline

A) No - the Quick Access Toolbar is the customization for Office 2007. You
can create a custom tab via a COM Addin. (See MSDN for more info on that).

B) There is no way to display the text instead of the macro icon; the only
time text will display on the QAT is for checkbox controls. You can specify
an icon and custom tooltip for your macro button in the Customization dialog
by selecting your macro in the right-side list and clicking the Modify
button, if that will help in distinguishing one command from another.

"JR" wrote:

In Word 2003 I had a toolbar with macro buttons, each displaying text.
A) Is it possible to create a customised toolbar in 2007
B) Having put macro buttons on the Quick Access toolbar, how do you display
text instead of the macro icon?

--
Thanks
JR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

So the way-cool custom toolbars I've developed over the years with macros
and obscure commands all go away if I upgrade to Word 2007? What about the
custom templates that have custom menus and toolbars that I've developed for
clients?? Does the whole freakin' world have to have training wheels that I
can't remove?? Over the years, they've given me the power to speed up my
work and now they're taking it away from me?arggh

Mike
news

"JR" wrote:

In Word 2003 I had a toolbar with macro buttons, each displaying text.
A) Is it possible to create a customised toolbar in 2007
B) Having put macro buttons on the Quick Access toolbar, how do you

display
text instead of the macro icon?

--
Thanks
JR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

They will appear on the Add-Ins tab, but nowhere else.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Mike Starr" wrote in message
:

So the way-cool custom toolbars I've developed over the years with macros
and obscure commands all go away if I upgrade to Word 2007? What about the
custom templates that have custom menus and toolbars that I've developed for
clients?? Does the whole freakin' world have to have training wheels that I
can't remove?? Over the years, they've given me the power to speed up my
work and now they're taking it away from me?arggh

Mike
news

"JR" wrote:

In Word 2003 I had a toolbar with macro buttons, each displaying text.
A) Is it possible to create a customised toolbar in 2007
B) Having put macro buttons on the Quick Access toolbar, how do you

display
text instead of the macro icon?

--
Thanks
JR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

Default Attached template doesn't stick

I tried posting this over on microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs but
didn't get any nibbles so I figured I'd try over here...

I'm working on a user manual. I created Manual.doc based on Template1
(FileNewTemplate1.dot). Then I decided that I'd like to have an
alternate format so I opened Template1.dot, made some changes (mostly just a
different color for heading and emphasis text) and saved it as
Template2.dot. So then I opened Manual.doc and changed the template
(ToolsTemplates and AddinsTemplate2.dotAttach... Automatically update
document styles=checked). Saved a new version of the document (Manual2.doc).
Open Manual2.doc and it's back to being attached to Template1.dot instead of
Template2.dot. Nothing I do seems to be able to get my choice of templates
to stick. Now it's not a major problem... I can change it manually in a few
seconds or even write an AutoOpen macro to handle it but I can't for the
life of me figure out why on earth the template selection doesn't stick. Any
thoughts??

Thanks

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - Website developer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

The first thing that comes to mind is to check that the template is actually
a .dot file. The extension has nothing to do with it: a template has a
different internal structure.

If you attempt to attach a document to another document, it won't stick.

Open the template and try a Save As. If Word directs you to your User
Templates folder, then you do indeed have a template open. If Word does not
change the current directory when you attempt to save, the file is a .doc
internally, no matter what the extension says.

Cheers

On 2/2/07 6:58 AM, in article , "Mike
Starr" wrote:

[...]

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

Yep, it's definitely a template. Not only does it save into my User
Templates folder but the Save As Type is set to Document Template (*.dot).
In addition, when I apply the template to my document, the heading colors
change (that was the main reason I wanted to have a new version of my
template).

Of course, now that I posted over here, Shauna responded to my message over
in the other forum so I've got you both working on it. I tried her
suggestions as well but to no avail. I really didn't mean to get the same
thing going in two different groups... sorry about that.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote in
message ...

Starr" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John Hodgson John Hodgson is offline

We have a load of macros in a custom toolbar in 2003. If you open the 2003
..dot file as a 'My Template' all the macros appear in a custom toolbars in
'Add-ins'

"JR" wrote:

In Word 2003 I had a toolbar with macro buttons, each displaying text.
A) Is it possible to create a customised toolbar in 2007
B) Having put macro buttons on the Quick Access toolbar, how do you display
text instead of the macro icon?

--
Thanks
JR

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

So what did she SAY??? I hate Shauna: not only does she live close enough
to physically threaten me (and she does...) but she's smarter than me :-)

I can't work out what's going on he
* Word will remember the last several templates attached to a document (I
think it's up to 10)
* Word will attempt to open the attached template on document open
* If it cannot find the attached template at its attached location, it
searches a hierarchy of locations for the template.
* If the template is not in any of them, THEN it might accept a previous
template, provided that template was in either the User Templates folder,
the Workgroup Templates folder, or the same folder as the Word executable.

Would you mind posting the full file path to the two templates involved?

Provided, of course, Shauna doesn't beat me to it :-)

Starr" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

Hi John...

Both templates are in C:\Documents and Settings\MikeS\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates

Starr" wrote:

[...]

,
"Mike
Starr" wrote:

[...]

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread. Please do not

email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst,

Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Mike:

OK, there's nothing odd about the file path, and it's on the local drive, so
it's not that.

Let's suspect a corrupted document, and maggie it...

1) Create a new blank document

2) Carefully select all of the text in the bad document EXCEPT the last
paragraph mark

3) Copy it.

4) Paste in the new document.

5) Save under a new file name and close all, then re-open.

This technique for de-corrupting is known around the world as "Doing a
'Maggie'", after Margaret Secara from the Word PC-L mailing list who first
publicised the technique.

See if that changes anything. You may have to maggie both the templates as
well as the documents.

Cheers

Starr" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

I've been hanging out on these groups for ages... Maggie's on at least two
of my mailing lists and I seem to recall that it was the mysteriously
vanished Heretic who christened the procedure the Maggie.

Now for the critical question... which template should I use for the new
document? Usually in these groups there's only one template operative on a
user's system so it's not really an issue but here, it's probably a big
factor. I guess I can just try it with all three of the templates that might
have some hand in this fracas... normal.dot, Template1.dot or Template2.dot.
I'll see if I can't manage to give it a try this coming weekend. Since it's
not a major problem in my life at the moment (the only things that are
different about the two templates are font colors so even when I change the
template, there's no reflow).

Thanks much...

Starr" wrote:

Hi John...

Both templates are in C:\Documents and Settings\MikeS\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates

Mike
"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote

in
message ...
So what did she SAY??? I hate Shauna: not only does she live close

enough
to physically threaten me (and she does...) but she's smarter than me

:-)

Starr" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Mike:

The Heretic (Steve Hudson) was at my home last week. He left when the
fridge was empty...

Steve has gotten the irrits with us all, and invites us all to bend over
while he widens our vista... :-) I'm sure he will be back on the internet
when he gets it out of his system :-)

You're correct: I believe Steve named it the Maggie :-)

If the fact that the template is not sticking is because the OLE Object
Store (the last paragraph marker) has corrupted, then the corruption exists
in the document to which the template will not remain attached. Maggie
that.

However, since that document was freshly-created from a template, that means
the corruption is ALSO present in the template from which it was created.
So Maggie that too.

And since that template was created.... You get the idea :-)

Cheers

Starr" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JR JR is offline

Thanks. I've got the macro toolbar displayed in Add Ins now, but the macros
won't work. I can't edit them in Visual Basic as the "Project is locked".
My visual basic knowledge is very basic and I can't figure out how to unlock
the macros in the old template. Any suggestions? It's doing my head in!
--
Thanks
JR

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

JR wrote:
In Word 2003 I had a toolbar with macro buttons, each displaying text.
A) Is it possible to create a customised toolbar in 2007

No. If you import a Word 2003 template that contains a custom toolbar, it
will display in the Add-Ins tab (which is otherwise not present). There are
not, and cannot be, other toolbars in 2007.

B) Having put macro buttons on the Quick Access toolbar, how do you
display text instead of the macro icon?

You don't. The QAT allows icons only.

Visit http://www.pschmid.net/index.php to learn how to customize the Ribbon.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Starr Mike Starr is offline

Ah, I'm glad to hear himself is still alive and well and that all but your
larder apparently survived his visit. I have to admit both you and he are on
my list of folks I'd love to buy a cold one if we're ever in the same neck
of the woods. I kinda got the impression from his last message that he was
in a snit about something. With respect to his invitation to bend over...
only if he promises to respect me in the morning.

Meanwhile, when the opportunity presents itself, I'll Maggie the bejeesus
out of everything and see what happens. Probably won't happen for a week or
two at best.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

Best regards

Starr" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You have to open either the template itself or a document based on the
template to make the project available for editing.

The easiest way to open the template itself is to find it in Windows
Explorer, right-click it, and choose Open (instead of the default action
"New").

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

JR wrote:
In Word 2003 I had a toolbar with macro buttons, each displaying
text.
A) Is it possible to create a customised toolbar in 2007

No. If you import a Word 2003 template that contains a custom
toolbar, it will display in the Add-Ins tab (which is otherwise not
present). There are not, and cannot be, other toolbars in 2007.

B) Having put macro buttons on the Quick Access toolbar, how do you
display text instead of the macro icon?

You don't. The QAT allows icons only.

Visit http://www.pschmid.net/index.php to learn how to customize the
Ribbon.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ken Knight Ken Knight is offline

If you import macros written in Word XP to 2007, a right-click gives you the
option "Add group to quick access toolbar". If you do this, it adds a button
to the quick access toolbar which, when clicked, displays whatever you used
to see in XP -including text labels for your macros if these macros were
originally labelled with text.

I'm no expert and have just discovered this by accident, but it's cheered me
up no end! Hope it helps you too.

--
Ken Knight