Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Blackspear Blackspear is offline

Default Create an Index with Links - same as Table of Contents

Table of Contents works perfectly, you can then view the Document Map and
links work very well, however, the Table of Contents is not sorted
alphabetically, hence the requirement for an Index.

If you create hyperlinks within the Index, and then update the field, the
hyperlinks are removed.

How do I do the same thing as Table of Contents with an Index that has links
to within the same document?

Cheers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You can't, unless you unlink the index field (Ctrl+Shift+F9) and then
create the hyperlinks. That will convert the field results to plain
text, which can't be updated. You win some, you lose some....

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:46:00 -0800, Blackspear
wrote:

Table of Contents works perfectly, you can then view the Document Map and
links work very well, however, the Table of Contents is not sorted
alphabetically, hence the requirement for an Index.

If you create hyperlinks within the Index, and then update the field, the
hyperlinks are removed.

How do I do the same thing as Table of Contents with an Index that has links
to within the same document?

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Blackspear Blackspear is offline

Many thanks Jay, this is not consistent or logical by design, maybe in the
future.

Cheers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No version of Word has the built-in ability to create hyperlinked
indexes. But one of the regular groupies here has written a VBA
add-in that will create a hyperlinked index in Word. If you
would be interested in purchasing the add-in, go to
http://www.geocities.com/word_heretic/ and click on the link for
the Indexing Tool for more information.

Blackspear wrote:
Table of Contents works perfectly, you can then view the Document Map and
links work very well, however, the Table of Contents is not sorted
alphabetically, hence the requirement for an Index.

If you create hyperlinks within the Index, and then update the field, the
hyperlinks are removed.

How do I do the same thing as Table of Contents with an Index that has links
to within the same document?

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Samir Zahra Samir Zahra is offline

Hi,

I tried to visit http://www.geocities.com/word_heretic but could not find
the link to the Indexing Tool.

Does anyone have more info regarding this VBA add-in that will create a
hyperlinked index in Word?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Samir Zahra
--
Technical Writer

Blackspear wrote:
Table of Contents works perfectly, you can then view the Document Map and
links work very well, however, the Table of Contents is not sorted
alphabetically, hence the requirement for an Index.

If you create hyperlinks within the Index, and then update the field, the
hyperlinks are removed.

How do I do the same thing as Table of Contents with an Index that has links
to within the same document?

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Sorry: The Word Heretic has gone out of business.

You can try emailing him at , but I do not know if
he is still reading email.

Cheers

On 11/2/07 7:04 PM, in article
, "Samir Zahra"
wrote:

Hi,

I tried to visit
http://www.geocities.com/word_heretic but could not find
the link to the Indexing Tool.

Does anyone have more info regarding this VBA add-in that will create a
hyperlinked index in Word?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Samir Zahra

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410