heartforhorses

Default Word 2003 Attachment in Outlook 2003 - changing automated view

When creating an attachment to an outgoing e-mail in MS Outlook 2003, I like
to view the attachment before sending to be sure everything appears the way I
want it to and the pages are formatted properly.

I need to know how to change the default view in Outlook to "Normal" from
"Reader", which makes the margins very strange.

How do I change the way Outlook views Word 2003 attachments to Normal so
that all documents appear in Normal view?
Graham Mayor

The only way to ensure a document appears to a recipient the way you
intended is to send the attachment in PDF format, for which you'll need
extra software. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm.

Furthermore it is bad practice to open attachments directly from e-mail
attachments. One day this will bite you with malicious macro code or
information loss.

As for Reader, uncheck tools options general allow starting in Reading
Layout (you can reinforce this with an autoopen macro containing the line)

ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdNormalView

heartforhorses wrote:
When creating an attachment to an outgoing e-mail in MS Outlook 2003,
I like to view the attachment before sending to be sure everything
appears the way I want it to and the pages are formatted properly.

I need to know how to change the default view in Outlook to "Normal"
from "Reader", which makes the margins very strange.

How do I change the way Outlook views Word 2003 attachments to Normal
so that all documents appear in Normal view?

heartforhorses

Thanks, Graham - your response was very helpful. We often do send docs in
PDF format, but we also have to send working documents back and forth between
clients for review and comment, which requires that we use templates and
track changes in Word.

I understand the dangers of opening attachments in incoming e-mail. The
attachments we had trouble with in this instance were documents that we had
saved on our server (which has scanned them for corruption by the software we
run) and were viewing in an outgoing e-mail message. (I've tried convincing
my boss that he shouldn't view attachments in e-mail... but it's the "more
convenient" way when you're in a rush.) Knowing that the document will look
the way he wants it to when opened by the viewer is worth the risk to him,
which I understand.

Fixed the "reader view" problem, as well. Thanks so much for your help!

Marcie