Word 2003: track changes opens in final view instead of final sho.

Old April 19th 05, 04:39 PM
JenniferLee

Default Word 2003: track changes opens in final view instead of final sho.

We have users who work in and save tracked changes document in Word 2003 with
the view being Final Showing Markup. When they close and reopen the
document, the view changes to Final (you can actually see this happen - for a
split second, the Reviewing Toolbar will read "Final Showing Markup" and then
it changes to Final and all markups disappear) and they cannot see changes.
Worse yet, when they switch the view to Final Showing Markup, they have still
have to go into the Show options and manually select to show Insertions and
Deletions, Formating, etc. each and every time and those are automatically
deselected. These users were on 2002 and we upgraded them all to 2003
because they had the problem of people sometimes saving the documents in 2002
in Final view and others saw Final view when the documents were opened. We
thought getting everyone on 2003 would have the default view of Final Showing
Markup for all. This is too weird. I know that if you save in Final view
and have the Tools: OPtions: Security setting of Make hidden markup visible
when opening or saving deselected, the document will open Final view in 2003;
but that does not seem to be the case here. Besides, why would Final Showing
Markup not show the markups without manually selecting to show them each
time?
Old April 19th 05, 04:50 PM
Margaret Aldis

Do you think one of the users who wouldn't do as they were told and use
Final With Markup in 2002 could have written a macro to try to get around
your introduction of 2003? Sounds like you might have an arms race going on
here g.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

Old April 19th 05, 06:25 PM
JenniferLee

No, not a possibility. We only have two users who utilize macros. In fact,
our people want to see markups. All our complaints are from people who can't
see markups, not the opposite. Believe me, I've seen this in action at a
user's computer: we save viewing Final Showing Markup and immediately reopen
the document and Word visibily switches to Final - you can see it happen.
And, of course, the oddity of having the Show options on the Reviewing
toolbar repeatedly deselect Show Insertions and Deletions, Formatting and Ink
Annotations - in other words, Final Showing Markup only shows Comments.