Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phrank

Default Track changes: opening a document in 'Final' view

Whenever I open documents from our network at work, the document opens
with track changes turned on. I've gone into the
Tools/Options/Security tab and deselected the box, "Make hidden markup
visible when opening or saving," and my documents still open up with
track changes turned on. Why is this, and is there a way to actually
get my documents to open up in Final mode? Thanks.

Frank
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz

Once change tracking is on the doc will *always* open with the markup
showing, purportedly so the opening user knows the feature is active.
According to Word Help, the settings you made are applied in this way:

Note If you hide a type of markup by clearing it on the Show menu, the markup automatically appears each time the document is opened unless you clear the Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving check box on the Security tab of the Options dialog box (Tools menu). Even if you clear this check box, the markup is still in the document and can be revealed by selecting the type of markup on the Show menu.

But I have not found that it seems to change anything as far as displaying
markup on opening the file.

Regards |:)

"Phrank" wrote:

Whenever I open documents from our network at work, the document opens
with track changes turned on. I've gone into the
Tools/Options/Security tab and deselected the box, "Make hidden markup
visible when opening or saving," and my documents still open up with
track changes turned on. Why is this, and is there a way to actually
get my documents to open up in Final mode? Thanks.

Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phrank

Thanks. I agree, I've found the same thing. It's the 'nuclear
decision' if you ask me. Just because a few let their documents go
through with their (embarassing?) changes, now we all have to deal
with the results.

I've now been trying to figure out how to apply a macro to each
document that opens. It's easy to write a macro that will change the
ducument to 'Final' view, but I'm now looking at how to apply that
macro to every document I open. That's the only work around that I
see right now. Thanks for replying though.

Frank

"Phrank" wrote:

Whenever I open documents from our network at work, the document opens
with track changes turned on. I've gone into the
Tools/Options/Security tab and deselected the box, "Make hidden markup
visible when opening or saving," and my documents still open up with
track changes turned on. Why is this, and is there a way to actually
get my documents to open up in Final mode? Thanks.

Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phrank

I'm going to try that today. Thanks!

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:30:56 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

If you make this an AutoOpen macro in Normal.dot, it should affect all
documents.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Phrank

I did this, and it works great! Thanks! I'm now trying to figure out
an easier way to pass this on to others (not many others I work with
are comfortable going in to the VBA code). I've tried creating a
template that contains my AutoOpen macro and saving it in the
Word\Startup folder. I was told it would then be treated
as an add-in that will run automatically when all documents are
opened. However, it doesn't seem to work for me that way, only with
the Normal.dot method you suggested. Why would that be so? Thanks
for your help.

Frank