Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
FredFred FredFred is offline

Default Cell margin messes up table position

Whenever I apply a (larger) left cell margin to the top left cell of a table,
the whole table jumps to the left. This happens when it is applied either
individually to the cell, or globally to the whole table. Applying it to any
other cell or cells does not cause the problem. This is fatal when using
labels, and a problem the rest of the time.

Does anyone know why it's doing this oe what I'm doing wrong and how to
avoid this?

Thanks in advance.

(Using Word in Office 2003)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

The left position of a table is determined by the value in Table Properties
Table tab Indent from left. However, if a left/right cell margin is applied
to a cell in the leftmost/rightmost column, such margin is added to the
outside of the table as you have experienced (but the actual result depends
on other factors such as how the preferred width of the table is defined).

You can solve the problem in different ways:
You can keep the left cell margin and compensate for that margin by setting
the "Indent from left" to the same amount.
Alternatively, you can set both the "Indent from left" and the left cell
margin to 0 (zero) and then indent the text in the cells by applying a left
indentation to the text via Format Paragraph (personally, I prefer this
method because I find it easier to keep track of the exact table width and
position this way).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg