Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ron Boetger Ron Boetger is offline

Default How to change the Default Line spacing to SINGLE

I want all word documents to default to Single Space. How the
(explicitive deleted starting with a capital "F" do you make this
happen.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Luc Luc is offline

Ron,
You are referring to Word 2007? The line spacing is set to 1 by default in
previous versions.
If it is Word 2007, on the home tab of the ribbon in the paragraph group
click the tiny dialog starter button. Set your line spacing to one, click on
the button at the bottom of the dialog, should read something like default
setting, click Yes and normal.dotx will be changed to meet your standards.
--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
I want all word documents to default to Single Space. How the
(explicitive deleted starting with a capital "F" do you make this
happen.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ron Boetger Ron Boetger is offline

Many Thanks!

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 11:02:06 +0100, "Luc"
wrote:

Ron,
You are referring to Word 2007? The line spacing is set to 1 by default in
previous versions.
If it is Word 2007, on the home tab of the ribbon in the paragraph group
click the tiny dialog starter button. Set your line spacing to one, click on
the button at the bottom of the dialog, should read something like default
setting, click Yes and normal.dotx will be changed to meet your standards.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shakti Shakti is offline

Havin similar prob? Even tho 'single spacing' is checked, I get 1.5 spacing?

There isn't a "Default" button @ bottom of box?

Appreciate any help up here in the Great White North. It's very cold!

Shakti

"Luc" wrote:

Ron,
You are referring to Word 2007? The line spacing is set to 1 by default in
previous versions.
If it is Word 2007, on the home tab of the ribbon in the paragraph group
click the tiny dialog starter button. Set your line spacing to one, click on
the button at the bottom of the dialog, should read something like default
setting, click Yes and normal.dotx will be changed to meet your standards.
--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
"Ron Boetger" schreef in bericht
I want all word documents to default to Single Space. How the
(explicitive deleted starting with a capital "F" do you make this
happen.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you are using a version older than Word 2007, display the Modify Style
dialog box for the Normal style (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...fyAStyle.html). In the dialog
box, click Format, and then click Paragraph. Click the Indents and Spacing
tab. Make sure that the Line Spacing is what you want, and that the Spacing
Before and After are both set to zero. Click OK. In the Modify Style dialog
box, check the "Add to template" option. Click OK.

If you are using Word 2007, you can do this to set the defaults: Press
Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S. In the Styles pane, click the Manage Styles button. Click
the Set Defaults tab. Change the Line Spacing and Spacing Before and After
as desired. Click "New documents based on this template," and click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Luc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Andrew B Andrew B is offline

Stefan:

Using Word 2007. I tried the remedy you suggested below (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S,
go to Style pane etc), switched the default multiple spacing from 3 to 1,
clicked to apply this as the default to all new docs, shut down Word,
restarted it, and the multiple line setting was back at 3 again! Is there
anything else I can try?

Andrew B
(also in the Frozen North)

"Luc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Andrew B Andrew B is offline

Luc:

Using Word 2007. I have the same problem with the multiple-line default
being impossible - but IMPOSSIBLE - to change from the default, which in my
case is 3 lines. I'd like to try your suggestion but I'm not sure what "on
the home tab of the ribbon in the paragraph group click the tiny dialog
starter button" refers to. How can I find this button? I can get to the
paragraph group (or what I assume is the paragraph group) okay, but danged if
I can find anything that resembles a "tiny dialog starter button."

Andrew B

"Luc" wrote:

Ron,
You are referring to Word 2007? The line spacing is set to 1 by default in
previous versions.
If it is Word 2007, on the home tab of the ribbon in the paragraph group
click the tiny dialog starter button. Set your line spacing to one, click on
the button at the bottom of the dialog, should read something like default
setting, click Yes and normal.dotx will be changed to meet your standards.
--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
"Ron Boetger" schreef in bericht
I want all word documents to default to Single Space. How the
(explicitive deleted starting with a capital "F" do you make this
happen.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Andrew B Andrew B is offline

Luc:

S'alright - I figured out what you meant. But I tried it and it didn't work.
Restarted Word and the multiple line spacing was back to 3 (I want it to be
1).

AB

"Luc" wrote:

Ron,
You are referring to Word 2007? The line spacing is set to 1 by default in
previous versions.
If it is Word 2007, on the home tab of the ribbon in the paragraph group
click the tiny dialog starter button. Set your line spacing to one, click on
the button at the bottom of the dialog, should read something like default
setting, click Yes and normal.dotx will be changed to meet your standards.
--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint
"Ron Boetger" schreef in bericht
I want all word documents to default to Single Space. How the
(explicitive deleted starting with a capital "F" do you make this
happen.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It seems as Word is unable to save normal.dotm correctly. The reason could
be a poorly designed add-in (did you install something recently)?

As a work-around, you can open the Normal template as a document and make
the desired changes there. When you are done, save and close the file.

A simple way to open the Normal template: Press Alt+F11 to display the
Visual Basic Editor. Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window. Type

NormalTemplate.OpenAsDocument

and press Enter. You'll see that the normal.dotm file is now the active
document. Close the Visual Basic Editor, and edit the defaults of the
normal.dotm as suggested previously.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Luc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Andrew B Andrew B is offline

Stefan:

I think this worked!

I haven't installed anything Word-related lately. I did recently install
Adobe Standard, but I had the multiple spacing problem long before that.

Vielen Dank!

AB

"Luc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you got it sorted!

Note that (some versions of) Adobe actually installs an add-in that could
cause issues with Word. See
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm.

--
Stefan Blom