Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thauran Thauran is offline

Default Automatically update text based on text already in the doc?

Lets say I have a large document. The last page of the document is a page
that quotes text from further up the same document.

Now, if I change the main document, this will not be reflected in the last
page.

What I want is the last page to be automatically updated when I change the
quoted text in the main document.

Kind of like how table of contents works.

I'm surprised this isn't built into Building Blocks. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can use bookmarks to identify text areas that you want to re-use and
{ REF } fields to re-use them. That isn't completely automatic but it's
likely to be manageable as far as Word is concerned.

You'll probably find some more stuff in this general area at
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

I'm surprised this isn't built into Building Blocks.

"Building Blocks" is essentially a bunch of chunks of stuff you can insert
into a document. As far asI now at the moment they don't package Word
capabilities at a higher level than that. (e.g. I don't know what you are
used to, but for example Word Building Blocks don't do the sort of
allocation of blocks/modules to pages/areas that you might find in a
web-based CMS).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Thauran" wrote in message
Lets say I have a large document. The last page of the document is a page
that quotes text from further up the same document.

Now, if I change the main document, this will not be reflected in the last
page.

What I want is the last page to be automatically updated when I change the
quoted text in the main document.

Kind of like how table of contents works.

I'm surprised this isn't built into Building Blocks. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thauran Thauran is offline

That was fast... two good ideas. I tried the 'paste special' idea, and it
seems to work, except that I'm not sure it auto-updates. This can probably be
tweaked somehow. I'll play around some.

Thank guys.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJY PJY is offline

to verify that it updated, just go into print preview, when you come back out
you should see the change

"Thauran" wrote:

That was fast... two good ideas. I tried the 'paste special' idea, and it
seems to work, except that I'm not sure it auto-updates. This can probably be
tweaked somehow. I'll play around some.

Thank guys.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just be careful - if for example you copy/move/rename the document-that the
link is to the document that you expect. Use Alt-F9 to see the link field.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk