Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shana Shana is offline

Default TOC not updating and headers are properly applied

I'm having difficulties getting all the headers to properly update in my TOC.
All content has the same header 3 formatting (I've even renamed the header 3
style, so that I can easily verify they are all formatted the same way.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hans hans is offline

First, make sure you're TOC is set up to display three outline levels:

Go Insert Reference Index & Tables TOC tab

At the lower right corner of the dialog box, be sure the "Show levels" field
is 3 or higher.

If that does not work, it may be because you are using a Style that is not
associated with an outline level. Did you make your style based on default
Heading 3 style?

A third possibility is that you need to select your custom style to be
represented in the TOC:

Go Insert Reference Index & Tables TOC tab

Click the "Options" button at the lower right corner, scroll down until you
see your custom Style, then add the TOC number to its corresponding field.

-Hans

"Shana" wrote:

I'm having difficulties getting all the headers to properly update in my TOC.
All content has the same header 3 formatting (I've even renamed the header 3
style, so that I can easily verify they are all formatted the same way.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Is your "header 3" style built-in or custom? Does it have an outline
level defined (Paragraph dialog box)? What field code displays for the
table of contents if you press Alt+F9?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Shana" wrote in message
I'm having difficulties getting all the headers to properly update

in my TOC.
All content has the same header 3 formatting (I've even renamed the

header 3
style, so that I can easily verify they are all formatted the same

way.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shana Shana is offline

The header 3 style is built-in. There are just a few different header 3
styles in the document, and I wanted to easily know that a specific one was
being used, so I renamed one "Heading 3 [my tag]" for ease.

Field code is: { TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u }

Thanks,
Shana

"Shana" wrote in message
I'm having difficulties getting all the headers to properly update

in my TOC.
All content has the same header 3 formatting (I've even renamed the

header 3
style, so that I can easily verify they are all formatted the same

way.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Shana" wrote:

The header 3 style is built-in. There are just a few different header 3
styles in the document, and I wanted to easily know that a specific one was
being used, so I renamed one "Heading 3 [my tag]" for ease.

I don't understand this. In what way are the "styles" different? If you are
saying that the text paragraphs (to which the style is applied) include
direct formatting (that is, formatting not in style) and this reflected in
the TOC, then this is normal behavior in Word. If, for some reason, you need
the format to be different in the text, create a separate style for those
paragraphs; if this style has an outline level defined it will be included in
the TOC.

Or are you saying that some paragraphs are not "seen" by the TOC? Make sure
that they are not inside a text box, header, or footer.

Field code is: { TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u }

The field code looks fine; it should include all styles with an outline
level defined (which the built-in headings have by default).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thanks,