Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dale Dale is offline

Default Update registry policy setting to open early Word documents?

I am attempting to open a file created some time ago in an early version of
Word. I get a message saying the file is blocked from opening in this version
by my registry policy settings. Any ideas, please?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:35:01 -0800, Dale wrote:

I am attempting to open a file created some time ago in an early version of
Word. I get a message saying the file is blocked from opening in this version
by my registry policy settings. Any ideas, please?

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810. Although it says it's for Word 2003
Service Pack 3, with a slight adjustment its instructions also apply for Word
2007. Look at the Word section of "Method 3: Manually set the registry values".
The registry entry for Word 2003 is

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Security

but the one for Word 2007 needs the version number 12.0 instead of 11.0.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dale Dale is offline

DearJay,

Many thanks -- that provided a solution for me. All the best for 2009!!

Kind regards,

Dale

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:35:01 -0800, Dale wrote:

I am attempting to open a file created some time ago in an early version of
Word. I get a message saying the file is blocked from opening in this version
by my registry policy settings. Any ideas, please?

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810. Although it says it's for Word 2003
Service Pack 3, with a slight adjustment its instructions also apply for Word
2007. Look at the Word section of "Method 3: Manually set the registry values".
The registry entry for Word 2003 is

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Security

but the one for Word 2007 needs the version number 12.0 instead of 11.0.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AllieOK AllieOK is offline

I'm having the same problem with Word 7, but "Security" is not in the entry.
Perhaps it is because I have Windows 7, but the only thing under "Word" is
"Addins" and under that is only "WordEEFonts.Connect" I need to know how to
open docs created in early versions of Word.
thanks, AllieOK

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:35:01 -0800, Dale wrote:

I am attempting to open a file created some time ago in an early version of
Word. I get a message saying the file is blocked from opening in this version
by my registry policy settings. Any ideas, please?

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810. Although it says it's for Word 2003
Service Pack 3, with a slight adjustment its instructions also apply for Word
2007. Look at the Word section of "Method 3: Manually set the registry values".
The registry entry for Word 2003 is

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Security

but the one for Word 2007 needs the version number 12.0 instead of 11.0.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord key,
add a new key and name it Security. Then follow the rest of the
instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman