Jimbo Mambo

Default Spell checker bug - cost big $$$

I typeset a book in Word 2003, SP1. I had it professionally edited via
revision tracking.

Knowing the risks of changing a "finished" product, I edited some of the
front chapters. Since these were limited changes, I proofed my own work and
relied on spell checker to flag typos. This turned out to burn me bad due to
what I can only call a bug in the Word spell checker.

Most typos were flagged and corrected. But, some words were not. I've tried
everything from setting the "recheck document" option in spelling and grammer
options, to checking the Language options to ensure that spell checking would
occur.

For some reason, in certain places in my document, spelling errors are not
flagged. They are not flagged as I type them (even though this option is
turned on), and they are not flagged when I run spell check. I turned off all
grammar checking thinking that it might interfere with spell checking. But,
it made no difference.

Is there a known issue with spell checker not working on portions (sections)
of a document? Are there any known issues with spell checker not working
properly in conjunction with revision tracking?

jimbo
Jimbo Mambo

Here's a bit more info on this problem.

I copied this section of text into a new document where spell checking was
flagging words, and none of the misspelled words in the copied text were
flagged!

Also, I was able to insert a known misspelled word from another section in
the document into the section that was not flagging errors. To my surprise, I
saw the copied misspelled word flagged! But, if inserted a bad character
into the words before and after it to make those words misspelled, Word did
not flag them. It's as if Word has excluded the section's text from spell
checking. This is *very* wierd.

Charles Kenyon

The "do not check" formatting is essentially character formatting. It can
apply to a single word, a sentence, or a paragraph. The text which is not
being checked is almost certainly so formatted. This isn't something that
you turn on/off for an entire document; you can turn it on/off for selected
text.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jimbo Mambo" Jimbo wrote in message
news
Here's a bit more info on this problem.

I copied this section of text into a new document where spell checking was
flagging words, and none of the misspelled words in the copied text were
flagged!

Also, I was able to insert a known misspelled word from another section in
the document into the section that was not flagging errors. To my
surprise, I
saw the copied misspelled word flagged! But, if inserted a bad character
into the words before and after it to make those words misspelled, Word
did
not flag them. It's as if Word has excluded the section's text from spell
checking. This is *very* wierd.

The words that are not being caught have been formatted as "Do not check
spelling or grammar." To guard against this, select the entire document, go
to Tools | Language | Set Language, and make sure that the appropriate
language is selected and that neither "Do not check spelling or grammar" or
"Detect language automatically" is checked. If the problem recurs, check
specific paragraph styles to make sure that the style itself does not
include the "no proofing" property (I recently worked with a document that I
discovered had several styles formatted this way--I have no idea how or
why).