MikeR

Default Template gone wild

Normally, I use Word 2000 to work on files sent from a particular client, and
the template this client uses was created in Word 2000. I've never had a
problem. While on travel, I opened and started working on one of the
client's files on a PC that had Word 2002 installed. The template was
totally off. Some styles that weren't bulleted became bulleted, and others
didn't show up that way until re-opened in Word 2000. I tried modifying the
styles, but the changes wouldn't take. Once I reopened the file, the weird
formatting came back. I gave up and just waited until I could use a PC with
Word 2000 intalled. The client said this happens often when files are worked
on in Word 2002 (i.e., "normal" styles become bulleted and other fun template
insanity). Does anyone know why this might be? Obviously, I learned my
lesson and will stick with Word 2000, but it'd be nice to be able to use Word
2002 if that's all I have available.
Charles Kenyon

I doubt that the problem has anything to do with Word 2002 vs Word 2000 (but
could be wrong). I suspect you've run into list templates. See: How to
create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Word document
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. (For
bullets see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html, the
subject is related.)

This is based on ...

Word's Numbering Explained
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...gExplained.htm

Additional information you may find useful or need is at:

How to Create a Template, Part II
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Legal Numbering
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/numbering.htm

A separate possible problem could be that you have your document set to
update styles from the template upon opening. This setting is under Tools
Templates and Add-Ins and is document specific.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"MikeR" wrote in message
[...]

MikeR

Charles:

I know how to create and modify templates, but I'm not really good at
troubleshooting them. Maybe I didn't explain the problem properly. When I
attach this client's template, which was created in Word 2000, to one of her
files that I open in Word 2002, not all of the styles come over right. For
instance, one style is to put a hanging indent on the start of each paragraph
in the body, which works fine when attached to a file opened in Word 2000,
but in Word 2002, it comes over with a bullet. Another style is a regular
left justified, bolded heading, but it comes through as bulleted with "Table"
in front of the numbering.

We can't figure out why people who open the file and attach the template in
Word 2002 all seem to have this issue with styles randomly changing to
bulleted ones (either when initially opened or when opened by the client in
Word 2000 after they've been worked on in Word 2002).