Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] andy.cotgreave@gmail.com is offline

Default IncludePicture - fields rendering when I save the source document

Hi,
I'm trying to fix a mailmerge INCLUDEPICTURE problem.

My data source contains the filename (eg "bhc.gif") and all files are
in a folder on our server ("P:\Events\Company logos for booklets").

I can create a merge field which can merge to a new document just
fine. However, once I save the source document, the merge field
changes!

For example, I start off with:
{ INCLUDEPICTURE "{ DOCVARIABLE "MyPath" }{MERGEFIELD
"ProductPhotoReceived" }" }

I merge to a new document, update the links and hey, presto - images
are all fine.

I go back to the source document, click save, and the merge field
changes to:
{ INCLUDEPICTURE "../../../Events/Company%20logos%20for%20booklets/
Holloway%20White%20Allom.jpg" \* MERGEFORMAT }

This effectively breaks the mergefield, and creating a new merge
document doesn't merge correctly.

Why is Word changing my fields?

Thanks in advance
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

From the Tools menu, select Options and then on the General tab, click on
Web Options and then select the Files tab and uncheck the option to Update
links on save.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sarahm Sarahm is offline

Default Merge data disappearing when printing

Please excuse the butt-in - my page doesn't appear to let me start a New
thread and this is the only way I could see to get my question on there.

I am merging from an Excel spreadsheet. The data merges fine and is on
screen. I usually copy that page to a new page so it is no longer attached
to the data source, saving the new, unconnected page. [I have used this
method for some time and always retained the data fine]

Now, when you go back into that document (that is no longer attached to the
data source), the data is there, but as soon as you print it, it switches to
merge prompts on screen and also prints out with merge prompts and not the
data.

I have trialled connecting via DDE and also OLE DB and still get the same
problem. The only other change is that we now have all data on a server and
no longer on my computer.

Any help would be appreciated!
--
sarahm

From the Tools menu, select Options and then on the General tab, click on

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Somewhere on that page there is a New button that you should use.

The experience that you are having is caused by the option being set under
ToolsOptionsPrint to Update the fields. Turn that off (which I would not
recommend) and the unconventional way in which you are operating will
probably be OK.

You should however see the "Individual Merge Letters" item on fellow MVP
Graham Mayor's website at:
http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

If you are using Word XP or later, the "Add-in to Merge Letters to Separate
Files" that I have written and that can be downloaded from that site will
allow you to create each letter as a separate file with a filename taken
from a field in the data source with a minimum of fuss.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"sarahm" wrote in message
news
[...]

From the Tools menu, select Options and then on the General tab, click on

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] andy.cotgreave@gmail.com is offline

From the Tools menu, select Options and then on the General tab, click on
Web Options and then select the Files tab and uncheck the option to Update
links on save.

Perfect! Thanks Doug, I was tearing my hair out yesterday...

That's a great example of how difficult the challenge of Word can be -
I'm sure the Microsoft designers had some sense of logic for where
they positioned that tick box, but how is anyone supposed to find that
solution when they have the same problem as me? I am just grateful for
the existence of the newsgroups!

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sarahm Sarahm is offline

Thank you very much, worked a treat. BTW I do have a New button on the
discussion page but it comes up with an error whenever I try to use it - so
any suggestions on that front for next time I have a problem would be great!!

--
sarahm

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

"sarahm" wrote in message
[...]