Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel E

Default Cannot turn off "Define Styles Based On Your Formatting"

I have the same problem and I have tried all the same solutions and those
suggested in your responses.

I have a document containing only academic references, some of which are one
line only. No matter what I do, every time I close and open the document,
those entries are converted to level 1. The style remain unchanged and I can
add and edit the text no problem. I have unmarked all AutoFormat options as
well as the Keep track of formatting.

Any suggestions?

"rgille" wrote:

Hello - I cannot turn off "Define Styles Based On Your Formatting." I've
cleared the check box for this feature on Tools AutoCorrect Options
AutoFormat As You Type tab. On the same tab, I've also cleared the check
boxes to Apply As You Type - Built-In Heading Styles, and Automatically As
You Type - [cleared all check boxes]. I've updated Office 2003 from
Microsoft.com website. I deleted Normal.dot in case this was a corruption
issue. Shut down and restarted. Still, when I make any formatting change to
a paragraph, it immediately creates a new style. Have others experienced
this problem? Any fix that you know of? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke

Sounds like a different problem...
Do you use Document Map? It can do that to you.

See Daiya Mitchell's article
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/DocumentMap.htm

Greetings,
Klaus

"Daniel E" wrote:
I have the same problem and I have tried all the same solutions and those
suggested in your responses.

I have a document containing only academic references, some of which are
one
line only. No matter what I do, every time I close and open the document,
those entries are converted to level 1. The style remain unchanged and I
can
add and edit the text no problem. I have unmarked all AutoFormat options
as
well as the Keep track of formatting.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel E

Yes, I did use the document map and after reading the article I think that
that was the problem. To get around it, I choose an ugly solution... I added
a full stop at the end of all lines that were converted to headings. That
worked, but not using document map is probably easier.

Thanks,
Daniel