Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Megor Megor is offline

Default disappearance of auto text list in "header/footer" toolbar

The list of auto text entries has disappeared from the "insert auto text"
dropdown menu in the header/footer toolbar. It's still available in the
insertautotext menu option. What happened to it? How do I get the list
active in header/footer toolbar? I get a blank square when I click the
dropdown menu arrow.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The usual reason for this is that a document has been saved as Normal.dot.
See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

"Megor" wrote in message
The list of auto text entries has disappeared from the "insert auto text"
dropdown menu in the header/footer toolbar. It's still available in the
insertautotext menu option. What happened to it? How do I get the list
active in header/footer toolbar? I get a blank square when I click the
dropdown menu arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Megor Megor is offline

This is (link) was helpful, but didn't solve the problem. Perhaps I didn't
find the correct instance of Normal.dot to repair. At any rate, the list is
still missing.
M__

"Megor" wrote in message
The list of auto text entries has disappeared from the "insert auto text"
dropdown menu in the header/footer toolbar. It's still available in the
insertautotext menu option. What happened to it? How do I get the list
active in header/footer toolbar? I get a blank square when I click the
dropdown menu arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you rename Normal.dot (find the active one in the path given on the File
Locations tab of Tools | Options), I guarantee that the fresh Normal.dot
that Word will generate will contain the default AutoText entries. You can
text this by starting Word in Safe Mode (by pressing Ctrl as the program is
AutoText entries are present in Safe Mode (which bypasses your Normal.dot
and uses Word's default settings, including the hard-coded internal
Normal.dot), then they will be present when Word generates a fresh copy.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The usual reason for this is that a document has been saved as

Normal.dot.
See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Megor" wrote in message
The list of auto text entries has disappeared from the "insert auto

text"
dropdown menu in the header/footer toolbar. It's still available in

the
insertautotext menu option. What happened to it? How do I get the

list
active in header/footer toolbar? I get a blank square when I click the
dropdown menu arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If they are really custom toolbars, you can copy them from the renamed
Normal.dot to the new one using the Organizer. If, as is more likely, they
are actually toolbar customizations, here's a shortcut to rebuilding them:

Open the renamed Normal.dot and create a custom toolbar (you could name it
Temp). Drag all the custom toolbar buttons and menu items to this toolbar
and be sure it is saved in the renamed Normal.dot. Then use Organizer to
copy that toolbar into the new Normal.dot and drag the buttons and menu
items to their rightful places on the built-in toolbars and menus.

news

"Megor" wrote in message
The list of auto text entries has disappeared from the "insert

auto
text"
dropdown menu in the header/footer toolbar. It's still available

in
the
insertautotext menu option. What happened to it? How do I get the

list
active in header/footer toolbar? I get a blank square when I click

the
dropdown menu arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Megor Megor is offline

You are very helpful. Yes, it's more a matter of toolbar customization, and
your guidelines worked. I was able to capture some customized buttons and
their macros, too. One more item, and I'll try not to take any more of your
time. How can I - or can I - recreate customized shortcut menus in the new
Normal.dot? I have altered several of the shortcut menus to include a wider
array of commands. I hope I don't have to recreate each "manually". Is there
an easy, "cut and paste" or "copy to" method?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If they are really custom toolbars, you can copy them from the renamed
Normal.dot to the new one using the Organizer. If, as is more likely, they
are actually toolbar customizations, here's a shortcut to rebuilding them:

Open the renamed Normal.dot and create a custom toolbar (you could name it
Temp). Drag all the custom toolbar buttons and menu items to this toolbar
and be sure it is saved in the renamed Normal.dot. Then use Organizer to
copy that toolbar into the new Normal.dot and drag the buttons and menu
items to their rightful places on the built-in toolbars and menus.

news

"Megor" wrote in message
The list of auto text entries has disappeared from the "insert

auto
text"
dropdown menu in the header/footer toolbar. It's still available

in
the
insertautotext menu option. What happened to it? How do I get the
list
active in header/footer toolbar? I get a blank square when I click

the
dropdown menu arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's a good question; since they're context menus, I don't think you can
add them to a custom toolbar the way you can the other customizations. Like
you, I would hate to lose the work on these. One thing I have discovered,
however, is that once you have added commands to one shortcut menu, you can
more easily add them to another by using Ctrl+Drag from one menu to the
other instead of dragging them from the Customize dialog. You may even be
able to drag more than one at a time; you can certainly drag commands that
have submenus, and they'll bring the whole thing along.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If they are really custom toolbars, you can copy them from the renamed
Normal.dot to the new one using the Organizer. If, as is more likely,

they
are actually toolbar customizations, here's a shortcut to rebuilding

them:

Open the renamed Normal.dot and create a custom toolbar (you could name

it
Temp). Drag all the custom toolbar buttons and menu items to this

toolbar
and be sure it is saved in the renamed Normal.dot. Then use Organizer to
copy that toolbar into the new Normal.dot and drag the buttons and menu

items to their rightful places on the built-in toolbars and menus.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news

"Megor" wrote in message
The list of auto text entries has disappeared from the "insert

auto
text"
dropdown menu in the header/footer toolbar. It's still

available
in
the
insertautotext menu option. What happened to it? How do I get

the
list
active in header/footer toolbar? I get a blank square when I

click
the
dropdown menu arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Megor Megor is offline

Well, I'll try that. Nothing else I tried worked.
Thanks
M__

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If they are really custom toolbars, you can copy them from the renamed
Normal.dot to the new one using the Organizer. If, as is more likely,

they
are actually toolbar customizations, here's a shortcut to rebuilding

them:

Open the renamed Normal.dot and create a custom toolbar (you could name

it
Temp). Drag all the custom toolbar buttons and menu items to this

toolbar
and be sure it is saved in the renamed Normal.dot. Then use Organizer to
copy that toolbar into the new Normal.dot and drag the buttons and menu

items to their rightful places on the built-in toolbars and menus.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Megor" wrote in message
news That time it worked. Thanks! Now all I have to do is re-build my

custom
toolbars . . .

"Megor" wrote in message
The list of auto text entries has disappeared from the "insert
auto
text"
dropdown menu in the header/footer toolbar. It's still

available
in
the
insertautotext menu option. What happened to it? How do I get

the
list
active in header/footer toolbar? I get a blank square when I

click
the
dropdown menu arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

There is, perhaps, another way to do this. Assuming that your old normal.dot
was not corrupt (and that may be a big assumption) you could dump the
autotexts from the new normal and load them back up to the old normal. That
way you would still have the old normal.dot with all its toolbar
customizations and with the autotexts refreshed.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That's a good question; since they're context menus, I don't think you
can
add them to a custom toolbar the way you can the other customizations.
Like
you, I would hate to lose the work on these. One thing I have discovered,
however, is that once you have added commands to one shortcut menu, you
can
more easily add them to another by using Ctrl+Drag from one menu to the
other instead of dragging them from the Customize dialog. You may even be
able to drag more than one at a time; you can certainly drag commands
that
have submenus, and they'll bring the whole thing along.

so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you rename Normal.dot (find the active one in the path given
on

the
File
Locations tab of Tools | Options), I guarantee that the fresh

Normal.dot
that Word will generate will contain the default AutoText
entries.

You
can
text this by starting Word in Safe Mode (by pressing Ctrl as the

program
is
if

the

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The usual reason for this is that a document has been saved
as
Normal.dot.
See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to
the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Megor" wrote in message
The list of auto text entries has disappeared from the
"insert
auto
text"
dropdown menu in the header/footer toolbar. It's still

available
in
the
insertautotext menu option. What happened to it? How do I
get

the
list
active in header/footer toolbar? I get a blank square when

click
the
dropdown menu arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Good thinking, Tony!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That's a good question; since they're context menus, I don't think you
can
add them to a custom toolbar the way you can the other customizations.
Like
you, I would hate to lose the work on these. One thing I have

discovered,
however, is that once you have added commands to one shortcut menu, you
can
more easily add them to another by using Ctrl+Drag from one menu to the
other instead of dragging them from the Customize dialog. You may even

be
able to drag more than one at a time; you can certainly drag commands
that
have submenus, and they'll bring the whole thing along.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Megor" wrote in message
The list of auto text entries has disappeared from the
"insert
auto
text"
dropdown menu in the header/footer toolbar. It's still
available
in
the
insertautotext menu option. What happened to it? How do

get
the
list
active in header/footer toolbar? I get a blank square

when
click
the
dropdown menu arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Megor Megor is offline

That's pretty much what I did, which got back the original "standard" set of
auto texts in the "header/footer" toolbar. However, my custom texts still do
not show up. They are in the menu bar (insert auto text) but not in the
"header/footer" tool bar list. Go figure . . .

"Megor" wrote in message
The list of auto text entries has disappeared from the
"insert
auto
text"
dropdown menu in the header/footer toolbar. It's still
available
in
the
insertautotext menu option. What happened to it? How do

get
the
list
active in header/footer toolbar? I get a blank square

when
click
the
dropdown menu arrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

They will be on the list on the Header and Footer toolbar only if they are
in Header or Footer style. You must create them in that style for them to
appear in that restricted list (they will then also appear in the Header and
Footer category on the main list).

"Megor" wrote in message
That's pretty much what I did, which got back the original "standard" set

of
auto texts in the "header/footer" toolbar. However, my custom texts still

do
not show up. They are in the menu bar (insert auto text) but not in the
"header/footer" tool bar list. Go figure . . .

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Good thinking, Tony!

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you rename Normal.dot (find the active one in the path

given
on
the
File
Locations tab of Tools | Options), I guarantee that the

fresh
Normal.dot
that Word will generate will contain the default AutoText
entries.
You
can
text this by starting Word in Safe Mode (by pressing Ctrl

as
the
program
is

switch);
if
the

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Megor Megor is offline

Another good tip. Thanks
M__

"Megor" wrote in message
That's pretty much what I did, which got back the original "standard" set

of
auto texts in the "header/footer" toolbar. However, my custom texts still

do
not show up. They are in the menu bar (insert auto text) but not in the
"header/footer" tool bar list. Go figure . . .

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Good thinking, Tony!

newsgroup so
all may benefit.