Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
janey janey is offline

Default Send to macro

When I type some Word documents, I would like to send them to a folder on my
desktop so that I can keep them together before despatching them to a
client.
I have created the desktop folder but can't work out how to record the
macro.
I would really appreciate some help, please.
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"janey" wrote in message
When I type some Word documents, I would like to send them to a folder on
my desktop so that I can keep them together before despatching them to a
client.
I have created the desktop folder but can't work out how to record the
macro.
I would really appreciate some help, please.
TIA

Save As? Then you can specify the destination. Doesn't need a macro....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

No need for a macro. As Gordon suggests, you can just use SaveAs and select
the location of the Folder. To make this easy, you can add the folder to the
Place bar in the File Open/Save dialog so that you can navigate to it with
one click. How depends on your version of OS and Word.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"janey" wrote in message
When I type some Word documents, I would like to send them to a folder on
my desktop so that I can keep them together before despatching them to a
client.
I have created the desktop folder but can't work out how to record the
macro.
I would really appreciate some help, please.
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
janey janey is offline

Sorry, I hadn't made myself very clear.
I have already saved the documents to their relevant folders (i.e. for my
client's various projects).
After I have saved them, I would like to send each one to a folder on my
desktop so that they are all collected together when I come to send them to
him by email.

I used to have a macro similar to the "File | Send to: Floppy Disk" but
don't have that in my present office.

"janey" wrote in message
When I type some Word documents, I would like to send them to a folder on
my desktop so that I can keep them together before despatching them to a
client.
I have created the desktop folder but can't work out how to record the
macro.
I would really appreciate some help, please.
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

This is a windows rather than Word thing! I'm not sure how to do it with a
macro, but you can add it to the Send To right-click menu.

In Vista, you need to go to your profile under
Users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Startup and add a shortcut
to the folder you added to the Desktop. Now when you right-click on any
file, the context menu will open up and Send To: FolderName will now be
available. WinXP is similar but under Documents and Settings somewhere.

Terry

"janey" wrote in message
When I type some Word documents, I would like to send them to a folder
on my desktop so that I can keep them together before despatching them
to a client.
I have created the desktop folder but can't work out how to record the
macro.
I would really appreciate some help, please.
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You should be able to adapt the macros at
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm to save a document to a
preferred location.

"janey" wrote in message
When I type some Word documents, I would like to send them to a
folder on my desktop so that I can keep them together before
despatching them to a client.
I have created the desktop folder but can't work out how to record
the macro.
I would really appreciate some help, please.
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
janey janey is offline

Thanks for that. I have added the shortcut to the Send to folder.
I would like to add it to the drop down box in Word (2003) but can't find a
'Send to" command in Tools | Customize | All Commands. Can anyone help,
please?

"janey" wrote in message
When I type some Word documents, I would like to send them to a folder
on my desktop so that I can keep them together before despatching them
to a client.
I have created the desktop folder but can't work out how to record the
macro.
I would really appreciate some help, please.
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
janey janey is offline

Thank you, Graham.
Just as a matter of interest, looking through some old files, I notice that
someone sent me a template (Send to.dot) which did precisely what I am
looking for (sadly now lost). It was via this newsgroup by someone called
Tonia Marshall. If she is still around, I would be delighted to hear if I
can get a copy of the template she had created.)

"janey" wrote in message
When I type some Word documents, I would like to send them to a
folder on my desktop so that I can keep them together before
despatching them to a client.
I have created the desktop folder but can't work out how to record
the macro.
I would really appreciate some help, please.
TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What *exactly* did the macro do? It should not take rocket science to
recreate it.

Try the following

Sub CopyDocToFolder()
Dim SourceFile As String
Dim DestinationFile As String
ActiveDocument.Save
SourceFile = ActiveDocument.Name ' Define source file name.
DestinationFile = "C:\Temp\" & SourceFile ' Additional file location.
SourceFile = ActiveDocument.FullName
ActiveDocument.Close
FileCopy SourceFile, DestinationFile 'Copy source to first target
Documents.Open SourceFile 'Reopen the original document
End Sub

Set DestinationFile path to where you want to send the copy.