vmishka vmishka is offline
Junior Member

Default Filling blank space above the footnotes

I am helping my wife with her dissertation using Word 2013.

The text and the footnotes are justified on both sides.

On many/most pages, Word fills up the available space with text, above the start of the footnotes on that page, just fine (1st image).

On some pages, Word leaves a lot of white space above the footnote (2nd image) despite the fact that two lines of text at the top of the next page (to the end of the paragraph [3rd image]) would fit just fine in the blank space on the previous page.

There are no paragraph breaks, page breaks, or section breaks or anything of that kind where the blank space exists. Word just seems to refuse to put text there.

At the moment, I cannot find a way to get any lines from the next page to fill up that available space.

What is causing this and is there a way that I can correct it?

Thank you.
Attached Images

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could start by turning on "Show non-printing characters" with Ctrl-Shift-8
to see whether there are any empty paragraphs somewhere.

Also be sure "Widow and Orphan Control" is turned off in the second tab of
Paragraph Formatting, as well as "Keep with Next Paragraph."

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 9:31:08 PM UTC-4, vmishka wrote:
[...]

|Filename: Too much blank space.jpg |
|Download: http://www.wordbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=210|