Michael Dick

Default Repairing an error in word 2003 document

I wrote a long article (well 35 pages single spaced) with photos and foreign
fonts. It displays and prints fine but when I try to convert footnotes to
endnotes it goes into an endless loop (that is after 1500 pages I stop the
conversion). I mentioned this in here this summer and the response was that
somewhere my document is corrupted. But I cannot see where. Respondents
suggested that I convert to HTML and then back as that often repairs a
document. I did that but no help. What can I do? A publisher wants the
article for submission but the footnotes must be changed to endnotes. Do I
just have to do 155 notes by hand?
Michael Dick
Siena College

Daiya Mitchell

Your doc is certainly corrupt, though there are more things to try than Save
As HTML, though that's usually best.

The first way to check for a corrupt document is to
copy the entire thing, *excluding* the last paragraph mark, into a new
document. That last paragraph mark holds a lot of information which can get
corrupted, and copying the text into a document with a fresh one keeps your
formatting, but can fix some glitches. If you have multiple sections, you
may want to do this for every section.

A paragraph mark is a ¶. Click on ¶ on the standard toolbar to show
nonprinting characters, including paragraph marks.

Do you have lots of tables? Tables can corrupt too, try converting them to
Text and back to Table again.

I would try all these things on a copy, just to be safe.

See this link for further things you can try:

http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

DM

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ:

stephanic stephanic is offline
Junior Member

Hi,
generally MS Word is used by almost every people in office work or some other work. It is useful but sometime it gets corrupt and becomes inaccessible. When such happen then nothing works and even the stored data does not open. However in this situation, it needs to be repaired so that the word file becomes accessible and here MS Word file repair tool can help. This is one of the best software that completely work to fix the corrupt word file with its error and resolve the database.
See more on: http://wordrepairtool.puzldev.com/