tinhorn

Default 1st page turns into "odd" when # inserted

Page setup = different odd & even; different 1st page
Same as Previous = Off
Version = 2002 (I think.)

My manuscript requires different headers for first, even, and odd pages.
Page numbers are in the footers.

When I insert the page number into the first page, it turns that page into
an odd page and replaces first page with odd page formatting.

I've formatted dozens of other manuscripts and can't figure out what is
different about this one. Help!

Stefan Blom

I'm not sure what's going on with your document, but you can start
by checking this: Is "Different odd and even" and "Different first
page" is enabled for all sections of your document? Is "Same as
Previous" turned off for *all* headers and footers of each section?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tinhorn" wrote in message
Page setup = different odd & even; different 1st page
Same as Previous = Off
Version = 2002 (I think.)

My manuscript requires different headers for first, even, and odd

pages.
Page numbers are in the footers.

When I insert the page number into the first page, it turns that

page into
an odd page and replaces first page with odd page formatting.

I've formatted dozens of other manuscripts and can't figure out what

is
different about this one. Help!

tinhorn

Yes, those were the first things I checked, too.

I got numbers to appear by deleting them all, then inserting them from the
header/footer toolbar instead of Insert, Page Number function, but I had to
center them - no "outside" option.

Stefan Blom

Using the header/footer toolbar is the recommended way to insert page
numbers in Word (although InsertPage Numbers seems to easy!).

Since you have "Different odd and even" enabled, you can position the
page number differently on odd and even pages (corresponding to the
"Outside" option in the Page Numbers dialog box).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tinhorn" wrote in message
news
Yes, those were the first things I checked, too.

I got numbers to appear by deleting them all, then inserting them

from the
header/footer toolbar instead of Insert, Page Number function, but I

had to
center them - no "outside" option.

tinhorn

Thanks, but y'see, using the header/footer bar, I can specify left or right
justification, but not outside. Outside is an option only when using the
Insert feature. I'm formatting books and the first page of a chapter could
be either odd or even numbered.

Unless you know where to find the "outside" option from the header/footer
toolbar...

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Using the header/footer toolbar is the recommended way to insert page
numbers in Word (although InsertPage Numbers seems to easy!).

Since you have "Different odd and even" enabled, you can position the
page number differently on odd and even pages (corresponding to the
"Outside" option in the Page Numbers dialog box).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tinhorn" wrote in message
news
Yes, those were the first things I checked, too.

I got numbers to appear by deleting them all, then inserting them

from the
header/footer toolbar instead of Insert, Page Number function, but I

had to
center them - no "outside" option.

Charles Kenyon

Outside of what? You can change the left and right indents to make your
header/footer margins wider than the page. If you are trying to put the page
number up in the middle margins, you can do it with a frame (still inserted
within the header/footer view). I put stuff, including fields, all over my
documents using headers and footers.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Using the header/footer toolbar is the recommended way to insert page
numbers in Word (although InsertPage Numbers seems to easy!).

Since you have "Different odd and even" enabled, you can position the
page number differently on odd and even pages (corresponding to the
"Outside" option in the Page Numbers dialog box).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tinhorn" wrote in message
news
Yes, those were the first things I checked, too.

I got numbers to appear by deleting them all, then inserting them

from the
header/footer toolbar instead of Insert, Page Number function, but I

had to
center them - no "outside" option.

I usually make the first page of a chapter odd by default (using an "Odd
page" section break), but if not, I center the page number in the First Page
Footer, then put the page number in the header for the remaining pages, left
(outside) on verso pages (Even Page Header) and right (outside) on recto
pages (Odd Page Header).

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Using the header/footer toolbar is the recommended way to insert page
numbers in Word (although InsertPage Numbers seems to easy!).

Since you have "Different odd and even" enabled, you can position the
page number differently on odd and even pages (corresponding to the
"Outside" option in the Page Numbers dialog box).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tinhorn" wrote in message
news
Yes, those were the first things I checked, too.

I got numbers to appear by deleting them all, then inserting them

from the
header/footer toolbar instead of Insert, Page Number function, but I

had to
center them - no "outside" option.

tinhorn

This might be my best option. Some clients want page numbers on the bottom,
though. I guess in those cases I could create an entirely separate document
for front matter and join the PDF files. Cheesy, but it works.

Thanks for all your help!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Using the header/footer toolbar is the recommended way to insert page
numbers in Word (although InsertPage Numbers seems to easy!).

Since you have "Different odd and even" enabled, you can position the
page number differently on odd and even pages (corresponding to the
"Outside" option in the Page Numbers dialog box).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tinhorn" wrote in message
news Yes, those were the first things I checked, too.

I got numbers to appear by deleting them all, then inserting them
from the
header/footer toolbar instead of Insert, Page Number function, but I
had to
center them - no "outside" option.

There's no reason you can't put the page numbers in the footer on every
page; in fact, I just finished a book with drop folios on every page and
distinct recto and verso running heads. For more technical documents and
reports, page numbers in the header are often preferred, though. Actually,
if you put the page numbers in a frame or text box, you can put them
anywhere; some very attractive books have "running heads" running vertically
(rotated 90 degrees) in the outside margins.

Wrt front matter, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I usually make the first page of a chapter odd by default (using an "Odd
page" section break), but if not, I center the page number in the First

Page
Footer, then put the page number in the header for the remaining pages,

left
(outside) on verso pages (Even Page Header) and right (outside) on recto
pages (Odd Page Header).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"tinhorn" wrote in message
news Yes, those were the first things I checked, too.

I got numbers to appear by deleting them all, then inserting them
from the
header/footer toolbar instead of Insert, Page Number function, but

had to
center them - no "outside" option.

tinhorn

Quite an impressive tutorial, Suzanne! I learned something! (Not the source
of my dilemma, though.) On my own books I can be flexible, but customers are
sometimes very specific and I hate to admit there's something I can't do.
Fortunately, this problem was on one of my own books.

Just as you wrote, I use three sets of headers/footers - first page, odd,
and even. But when I went to my first First Page in the troublesome
document, as soon as I clicked Insert Page Number, that page transformed from
a first page to an odd page, with odd page formatting in the header.

I'm sure there's just some incompatible weirdness I somehow placed into the
document. I've learned that I can't insert bitmap images if I'm using
Acrobat 6 to create a PDF, and that I can't use godaddy email if my AVG email
virus scan is on. I was hoping to discover what idiosyncratic oddity I'd
discovered in this document. I'll have to settle for the perverse
satisfaction of having stumped the best of the best!

I hope you don't mind if I post a link to your great tuorial on Lulu.com.

tinhorn

"tinhorn" wrote in message
news Yes, those were the first things I checked, too.

I got numbers to appear by deleting them all, then inserting them
from the
header/footer toolbar instead of Insert, Page Number function, but

had to
center them - no "outside" option.

Stefan Blom

You can align the text of odd page footers (or headers) to the right
and the text of even page footers to the left. To position page
numbers outside the margins, use a negative indent (a negative right
indent for right-aligned text and a negative left indent for
left-aligned text). If your footers (headers) also contain other data,
you may have to use tab stops instead of paragraph alignment.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tinhorn" wrote in message
news
Yes, those were the first things I checked, too.

I got numbers to appear by deleting them all, then inserting

them
from the
header/footer toolbar instead of Insert, Page Number function,

but I
had to
center them - no "outside" option.

If the page number you're inserting is an odd number (that is, if you have
numbering set to restart at 1 for a given section), then a Continuous break
might well become an Odd Page break. When you're using mirror margins and/or
"Different odd/even," Word assumes you will be duplexing and insists on
viewing an odd-numbered page as a recto page (which it should be). Beyond
that, I've lost track of the thread.

As to linking, each page at word.mvps.org has a link to the Terms of Use at
http://word.mvps.org/TermsofUse.htm. I believe simple linking is permitted
without any further formality, and an icon is provided if you want to use
it.