Omega411

Default Formating Mail Merge of 10 digit numbers to have parenthasis+dash

I have a database on Lotus and want to merge phone numbers. The phone numbers
in the database are 10 digits (XXXXXXXXXX) and I want to merge them so that
it shows up (XXX) XXX-XXXX, with parenthasis and a dash.
Is this possible?
Also I have 9 digit Zip codes with the same problem. I have XXXXXXXXX in the
database, but want to format the merge so that XXXXX-XXXX shows up with the
dash.
Any help is much appreceated.
Anne Troy

Using the information he
http://www.officearticles.com/word/m...osoft_word.htm
Format it as "(000) 000-0000"
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Omega411" wrote in message
I have a database on Lotus and want to merge phone numbers. The phone

numbers
in the database are 10 digits (XXXXXXXXXX) and I want to merge them so

that
it shows up (XXX) XXX-XXXX, with parenthasis and a dash.
Is this possible?
Also I have 9 digit Zip codes with the same problem. I have XXXXXXXXX in

the
database, but want to format the merge so that XXXXX-XXXX shows up with

the
dash.
Any help is much appreceated.

Graham Mayor

See http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

For the former you need

{Mergefield phonefieldname \# "(000) 000'-'0000"}

for the latter you need
{Mergefield zipfieldname \# "00000'-'0000"}

Omega411 wrote:
I have a database on Lotus and want to merge phone numbers. The phone
numbers in the database are 10 digits (XXXXXXXXXX) and I want to
merge them so that it shows up (XXX) XXX-XXXX, with parenthasis and a
dash.
Is this possible?
Also I have 9 digit Zip codes with the same problem. I have XXXXXXXXX
in the database, but want to format the merge so that XXXXX-XXXX
shows up with the dash.
Any help is much appreceated.

omega411

Omega411 wrote:
I have a database on Lotus and want to merge phone numbers. The phone
numbers in the database are 10 digits (XXXXXXXXXX) and I want to
merge them so that it shows up (XXX) XXX-XXXX, with parenthasis and a
dash.
Is this possible?
Also I have 9 digit Zip codes with the same problem. I have XXXXXXXXX
in the database, but want to format the merge so that XXXXX-XXXX
shows up with the dash.
Any help is much appreceated.

The website was very helpful, but when I tried to enter in the fomula for Zip codes as discribed after Formatting problem: the zip codes in my data source are 5-digit or 9-digit. What I'd like to do is apply a number format that will convert all ZIP codes to ZIP + four format, i.e. 12345 becomes 12345-0000, 123450000 becomes 12345-0000 and 123456789 becomes 12345-6789

This requires the use of a conditional field which tests whether the field
has five or nine digits then applies appropriate formats.

I could not get it to function properly when I entered it in on my Word Mail
merge
Anne Troy

omega: Graham's website, which we both pointed you to, shows exactly how to
do this: http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm
Scroll down about 2/3rds of the page and read it.
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com