Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Chinese character and mail merge problem

I got a problem when using mail merge. I have a excel file which is the
merge source, it contains some simplified chinese character.

When I use mail merge, some character changed to "?", but not all of
chinese character have problem.

My working environment is WinXP + Office2k03/Office 2k

Here is my sample:
http://www.hk235m.net/downloads/book1.xls
http://www.hk235m.net/downloads/docu-2.doc

If I switch to WindowsNT environment, RichWin installed(GBK code) and
using office 2k, the result is correct, no more "?" sign

Any comments are welcome~!
Thx!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

In your example, Word is connecting to the Excel sheet using DDE (which is
the default connection method in Word 2000). If you connect to the Excel
sheet using the default method for Word 2003 (OLEDB), I think you will see
all the Chinese characters as long as you are using a font in Word that
supports them.

You should be able to switch to OLEDB by disconnecting the data source and
reconnecting.

In English-language WIndows, I would not expect to see any Chinese
characters at all when connecting using DDE. I do not have Chinese-language
Windows but I would only expect to see Chinese characters if they were
encoded as Multibyte-character-set characters in the default encoding used
on Chinese-language Windows, and the font in Word supported them. Since you
see the characters when you use Richwin (which I do not have either) I
suspect that it may be providing something that makes it work in
Windows/Word 2000 with DDE.

Peter Jamieson

wrote in message
oups.com...
I got a problem when using mail merge. I have a excel file which is the
merge source, it contains some simplified chinese character.

When I use mail merge, some character changed to "?", but not all of
chinese character have problem.

My working environment is WinXP + Office2k03/Office 2k

Here is my sample:
http://www.hk235m.net/downloads/book1.xls
http://www.hk235m.net/downloads/docu-2.doc

If I switch to WindowsNT environment, RichWin installed(GBK code) and
using office 2k, the result is correct, no more "?" sign

Any comments are welcome~!
Thx!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Ah...!
I forget Microsoft Applocale utility, my home PC can merge the excel
without any problem.
I will try it tomorrow.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Some status update.

Applocale + Office2k still have "?" in the mail merge result.
Finally, I switch my XP default encoding to Chinese (PRC), it solved.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Thanks for the feedback...

Peter Jamieson