Jan Kronsell

Default Search and replace problem

I like to replace all occurrences of words containing "envi " with the same
word in italics.

I have checked the Use wildcards and specified envi* in the search field
and left the replace field empty, but for the italic formatting. I the use
replace, and it put all occurences of envi in italics, but only that part of
the word, not the whole word. So in "environmental" only the first for
letters are put in italics. What am I doing wrong. Btw im using Word 2002.

Jan

Lorrie White

Then try finding *ronmental and make that italics. No just joking. It's
really not clear what you are trying to do. If you want to make all
incidents of "environmental" italics, I'd "find" all environmental and
highlight them. (the button the highlight all is on the find screen) Once
highlighted, if you click on the italics icon - they will all be changed to
italics.

"Jan Kronsell" wrote in message
I like to replace all occurrences of words containing "envi " with the same
word in italics.

I have checked the Use wildcards and specified envi* in the search field
and left the replace field empty, but for the italic formatting. I the use
replace, and it put all occurences of envi in italics, but only that part
of
the word, not the whole word. So in "environmental" only the first for
letters are put in italics. What am I doing wrong. Btw im using Word 2002.

Jan

Daiya Mitchell

He wants to find environment and environmental and environs and italic all
those. Without doing three separate searches.

But Lorrie probably landed on a solution anyhow--use the "highlight all"
button in Find, then click italic.

There's a lot of information about using wildcards here, which may or may
not help, I can't imagine this can't be done without the "highlight all"
solution, but I don't know enough to know.
http://gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Jan Kronsell

Wat I try to do is exactly like you describe. But apparently it can't be
done. I think I have tried almost any combination of using wildcards with no
luck.
I have also tried Highlight all, but that doesn't work either. It only
highlight the part of the words I specify. So (and this is in Danish) if I
search for "arbejds*" and highligt all, I only highligt those letters in
words like "arbejdsmiljø", "arbejdsproces", "arbejsgiver" and so on. So
guess I just have to do it the hard way.

Jan

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Robert

Greetings--
Toggle regular expressions on and try the following search strings.
Find box:
(envi[a-z]@)
Replace box:
\1
Also add italic formatting to the Replace box.
--
Cheers
Robert

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:17:48 +0200, Jan Kronsell wrote:

I like to replace all occurrences of words containing "envi " with the

same
word in italics.

I have checked the Use wildcards and specified envi* in the search field
and left the replace field empty, but for the italic formatting. I the

use
replace, and it put all occurences of envi in italics, but only that part

of
the word, not the whole word. So in "environmental" only the first for
letters are put in italics. What am I doing wrong. Btw im using Word

2002.

Jan

Graham Mayor

You are halfway there
You need a wildcard search for:

arbejds*

Replace with

^&

and press CTRL+I in the replace box to give you the italic formatting
option.