Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] psimon@snet.net is offline

Default Protect Document - Word 2000 vs. Word 2003

I frequently create documents with drop-down form fields. In Word
2000, after I created the document, I would do ToolsProtect Document,
and the Protect Document dialog box would come up. I'd then click the
Forms radio button, then OK, and the drop-downs would then be
functional.

I just switched to Office 2003. Now, when I do ToolsProtect Document,
I no longer get the familiar Protect Document dialog box. Instead, I
get that crazy thing that pops up down the right side of the screen.
I've tried all those choices, and none of them seem to protect the
document such that the drop-downs work. Where can I find that dialog
box in Word 2003, or if it no longer exists, how do I Protect the
document so that the drop-down form fields function?

Many thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, first of all, unless you have more than one section in your document
and want to protect only specific sections, the easiest and best way to
protect the form is to click the Protect Form (padlock) button on the Forms
toolbar. But if you need to use the Protect Document task pane, you must
first check the box under (2) for "Allow only this type of editing in the
document." Once you've done that, you can select "Filling in forms" from the
dropdown, and other choices become available.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I frequently create documents with drop-down form fields. In Word
2000, after I created the document, I would do ToolsProtect Document,
and the Protect Document dialog box would come up. I'd then click the
Forms radio button, then OK, and the drop-downs would then be
functional.

I just switched to Office 2003. Now, when I do ToolsProtect Document,
I no longer get the familiar Protect Document dialog box. Instead, I
get that crazy thing that pops up down the right side of the screen.
I've tried all those choices, and none of them seem to protect the
document such that the drop-downs work. Where can I find that dialog
box in Word 2003, or if it no longer exists, how do I Protect the
document so that the drop-down form fields function?

Many thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] psimon@snet.net is offline

Perfect! Thank you very much Suzanne - I really appreciate your help
clearing this up for me.