Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
dande dande is offline

Default 3-column Landscape Document

This ageing non-techno is still having problems setting out an A4 document on
Office Word 2003 €“ landscape with three columns.

It looks fine on print preview but the right hand €˜third has too much of a
margin on the right hand edge, despite reducing the margin as far as it will
go on Page Setup. This section becomes the front cover of the two fold
leaflet and is all off centre.

Even with a straightforward portrait page, I cannot place copy as far down
the page as I can at the top.

Im sure this problem has become more serious since I changed printer. I
now have n HP Photosmart C4200 series.

Help please! Is this likely to be a Word or Printer setup problem?

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

It sounds that in the print options you may have the Comments option selected
and/or Track Changes with the balloons options selected to print as well.
Deselect these options as well as turn off Track Changes balloon in your
document.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"dande" wrote:

This ageing non-techno is still having problems setting out an A4 document on
Office Word 2003 €“ landscape with three columns.

It looks fine on print preview but the right hand €˜third has too much of a
margin on the right hand edge, despite reducing the margin as far as it will
go on Page Setup. This section becomes the front cover of the two fold
leaflet and is all off centre.

Even with a straightforward portrait page, I cannot place copy as far down
the page as I can at the top.

Im sure this problem has become more serious since I changed printer. I
now have n HP Photosmart C4200 series.

Help please! Is this likely to be a Word or Printer setup problem?

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
dande dande is offline

Thanks for your very quick reply DeanH.

Now I know I'm a bit of a Dumbo when it comes to even basis technology but I
am trying!

I went to PrintOptions but couldn't find options for Comments and/or Track
changes. Also where do I find the Track Changes balloon in my document.

Sorry - and thanks again.

dande

"dande" wrote:

This ageing non-techno is still having problems setting out an A4 document on
Office Word 2003 €“ landscape with three columns.

It looks fine on print preview but the right hand €˜third has too much of a
margin on the right hand edge, despite reducing the margin as far as it will
go on Page Setup. This section becomes the front cover of the two fold
leaflet and is all off centre.

Even with a straightforward portrait page, I cannot place copy as far down
the page as I can at the top.

Im sure this problem has become more serious since I changed printer. I
now have n HP Photosmart C4200 series.

Help please! Is this likely to be a Word or Printer setup problem?

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

Try Tools, Options, Print, Include with document, Comments.
Unfortunately I am at home and only have 2000, not at work with 2003.
I am working from memory, so I apologise greatly in advance ;-)
DeanH

"dande" wrote:

This ageing non-techno is still having problems setting out an A4 document on
Office Word 2003 €“ landscape with three columns.

It looks fine on print preview but the right hand €˜third has too much of a
margin on the right hand edge, despite reducing the margin as far as it will
go on Page Setup. This section becomes the front cover of the two fold
leaflet and is all off centre.

Even with a straightforward portrait page, I cannot place copy as far down
the page as I can at the top.

Im sure this problem has become more serious since I changed printer. I
now have n HP Photosmart C4200 series.

Help please! Is this likely to be a Word or Printer setup problem?

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

Tools, Options, Track Changes, there should be a check box concerning
balloons/comments. Check the document has no changes tracked in it.
View, Toolbars, Reviewing, Accept or reject the changes within the document.
Even if you are not in Track Changes mode (ie the TRK in the Status bar
highlighted) any changes can cause the printing panel to appear.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"dande" wrote:

This ageing non-techno is still having problems setting out an A4 document on
Office Word 2003 €“ landscape with three columns.

It looks fine on print preview but the right hand €˜third has too much of a
margin on the right hand edge, despite reducing the margin as far as it will
go on Page Setup. This section becomes the front cover of the two fold
leaflet and is all off centre.

Even with a straightforward portrait page, I cannot place copy as far down
the page as I can at the top.

Im sure this problem has become more serious since I changed printer. I
now have n HP Photosmart C4200 series.

Help please! Is this likely to be a Word or Printer setup problem?

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

All printers have a certain nonprintable area on all sides of the page.
Usually this is largest on the trailing edge (bottom of portrait pages, one
side or the other of landscape pages). This is usually larger for inkjet
printers than for lasers. I suspect that is the problem you are running into
(see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...DontPrint.htm). There's
really not much you can do about this. For general help with setting up
columns, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm.

If in fact the problem is that Word is allowing space for the "balloons" of
comments or tracked changes (which others have suggested but I rather doubt
is the issue here), the settings wrt the balloons themselves are found on
the Track Changes tab of Tools | Options. To remove the changes, on the
Reviewing toolbar, click beside Accept Change and choose Accept All Changes
in Document; then click beside Reject Change/Delete Comment and Delete All
Comments in Document. Make sure that Track Changes is turned off (if TRK is
black on the status bar, double-click to turn it off).

If you want to continue to track changes but print without the markup,
switch to Final view before printing or, in the Print dialog, select
"Document" rather than "Document with markup" in the "Print what" box.