Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Frank Frank is offline

Default intelligent mail barcodes

We are trying to place an intelligent mail barcode in mailmerge using word
2007. Is there someone that can help us with this problem.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Frank,

Intelligent mail barcode for what country? Do you have the intelligent mail barcode font, plus a field containing the verified
barcode character sequence in your data source?

--
Cheers
macropod

"Frank" wrote in message ...
We are trying to place an intelligent mail barcode in mailmerge using word
2007. Is there someone that can help us with this problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
captquazar captquazar is offline

Hi I have the same question with additional info. I my case, barcodes are
created for us by a mail house for use in the USA. USA mail intelligent
barcodes. A test file was sent to us in excel. US postal IB "fonts" have
been installed in our XP workstations. We are used to useing MS mailmerge;
resulting file is a word doc formated for #10 envelopes. (Office 2003) How
do I convert the excel file to a ready to print word doc? Can this even be
done in office 2003? If not what is the exact procedure for office 2007?
How does the printer know a specific string is the bar code sequence?

"Frank" wrote in message ...
We are trying to place an intelligent mail barcode in mailmerge using word
2007. Is there someone that can help us with this problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi captquazar,

If your mailmerge data source has the correct barcode data (ie the string representing the barcode characters, not simply the raw
data that gets turned into that string), it shouldme no more difficult than adding the relevant mergefield to the Word document and
formatting it to use the postal barcode font. To do the latter after inserting the mergefield into the Word document:
1. Select the mergefield and press Shift-F9. You should see something like {MERGEFIELD BarCode} or {MERGEFIELD BarCode \*
Mergeformat}
2. Change the text in the mergefield to {MERGEFIELD BarCode \* Charformat} and format the 'M' in 'MERGEFIELD' with the postal
barcode font at the required point size.
3. Position the cursor anywhere in the mergefield and press F9 to update it
4. Run your mailmerge.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Frank" wrote in message ...
We are trying to place an intelligent mail barcode in mailmerge using word
2007. Is there someone that can help us with this problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
captquazar captquazar is offline

Thank you Macro, Yes the string is the ready to use barcode sequence, not
raw data. The mailhouse has 'calculated' it for us. I am afraid I must
reveal my greenhorn status. I have not worked with templates or word
formating controls. e.g. How do you select the mergefield? We have not
previously used barcodes, so I assume I must create the field from scratch.
I do not understand step 2. (no fault of yours) How do I change 'M' in
mergefield to the barcode font and set the point size??

"Frank" wrote in message ...
We are trying to place an intelligent mail barcode in mailmerge using word
2007. Is there someone that can help us with this problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi captquazar,

Since you're dealing with a mailmerge, the barcode data must be included in the mailmerge source file - from your previous post I
assume it's an Excel file. If the barcode data is not in the mailmerge source file, you'll need to add the correct barcode string to
each record in that file. You should ensure the column holding the barcode strings has a header row naming the data (eg BarCode),
like the other columns have. If you then open the Word mailmerge main document, you'll be able to select and add the 'BarCode'
mergefield to the document.

As for step 2, try Format|Font.

--

"Frank" wrote in message ...
We are trying to place an intelligent mail barcode in mailmerge using word
2007. Is there someone that can help us with this problem.

hongdida hongdida is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
We are trying to place an intelligent mail barcode in mailmerge using word
2007. Is there someone that can help us with this barcode creating problem.
there are some barcode font designed for Word.
or you can check this post] for some other information.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...8-df805b7aa166