Dean Wheeler

Default Custom Table Styles - selected font not sticking

When I create a new custom table style, based on Table Normal and I go to
change the font property (selecting a new font) it shows in the preview pane
as if it has stuck but when I use the table style the underlying default
Normal Font style shows through.

All other formatting attributes for the font will stick (example: font size,
color, bold, italic) just for some reason I can't get the custom table style
font to stick?

Anyone able to help ...

Thanks
Dean

Klaus Linke

Hi Dean,

Your "Normal" style isn't the default "Times New Roman"? Then =
unfortunately you can't define any font in any of your table styles.

This is a pretty irritating design bug in table styles. And you have the =
same issue with any other font formatting you might have changed in =
"Normal" (size, color, alignment, ...).

Your only choice is to change "Normal" back to default (TNR), if you =
want to define the font in table styles.=20

Another variant of this bug is that you usually can't set the table =
style's size to 10 pt, since Word erroneously assumes that "Normal" and =
the table styles that inherit from "Normal" already are 10 pt. That was =
the default size in old versions.
But you can change the size to anything if you set "Normal" to 10 pt.

Regards,
Klaus

"Dean Wheeler" .(donotspam) wrote:
When I create a new custom table style, based on Table Normal and I go =

to=20
change the font property (selecting a new font) it shows in the =

preview pane=20
as if it has stuck but when I use the table style the underlying =

default=20
Normal Font style shows through.
=20
All other formatting attributes for the font will stick (example: font =

size,
color, bold, italic) just for some reason I can't get the custom table =

style
font to stick?
=20
Anyone able to help ...
=20
Thanks
Dean

Dean Wheeler

Thanks Klaus

This sure did fix it - although I have to re-visit a lot of formatting
styles that I have already created. I thought it was something to do with the
underlying change I had made to the default font.

Bad design decision by Microsoft designers - may work for the programmers
but doesn't for the real world. Either Microsoft should fix it or make
warnings very prominant in the multitude of books generated and the help
systems so you know what you are heading into if you change the default font
setting.

Dean