digitig

Default cross reference inserts entire figure

When I insert a cross-reference to a figure in a Word 2003 document, the
entire figure is inserted, not just the cross reference. I am choosing
Insert | Reference | Cross Reference, with reference type = "Figure", Insert
reference to = "Only label and number" and all check boxes cleared (I don't
want it to be a hyperlink as that will cause problems with subsequent
document issue). How do I get just the label and number to be inserted?
Andra

is the figure and its caption separate paragraphs? Having different
styles...say, "Figure" and "Caption".
Or they are a single paragraph with style "Caption"?

digitig wrote
When I insert a cross-reference to a figure in a Word 2003 document, the
entire figure is inserted, not just the cross reference. I am choosing
Insert | Reference | Cross Reference, with reference type = "Figure",

Insert
reference to = "Only label and number" and all check boxes cleared (I

don't
want it to be a hyperlink as that will cause problems with subsequent
document issue). How do I get just the label and number to be inserted?

Steve Waring Steve Waring is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitig View Post
When I insert a cross-reference to a figure in a Word 2003 document, the
entire figure is inserted, not just the cross reference. I am choosing
Insert | Reference | Cross Reference, with reference type = "Figure", Insert
reference to = "Only label and number" and all check boxes cleared (I don't
want it to be a hyperlink as that will cause problems with subsequent
document issue). How do I get just the label and number to be inserted?
I have hit the same problem and have given up trying to get captions to work and now just make the captions using bookmarks.

Last edited by Steve Waring : September 20th 14 at 03:39 PM Reason: incorrect answer.
andyroberts1234 andyroberts1234 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Waring View Post
I have hit the same problem and have given up trying to get captions to work and now just make the captions using bookmarks.
I have just come across the same problem. I have been writing a thesis with many cross-references. The problem seemed to start when I cut and pasted a figure and caption into a different section of the document. The style of the figure was 'Caption' as suggested as a possible reason for it's insertion (all my other figures are 'Normal'. However changing the style back to normal and then cross-referencing again results in the same issue.

The issue is resolved if the old caption is deleted and a new one created. (Right click on image and choose caption)

Has anyone got any suggestions to stop this happening in the first place?

Thanks

Andy

Last edited by andyroberts1234 : October 10th 14 at 11:58 AM