Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Schalk Schalk is offline

Default Split screen- What is it and how do I use it in Word?

I would like to know what is a split screen in MS Word and how do I use it to
create better word documents.

My students need clear understanding of the term "Split Screen" but I don't
know how to explain it to them.
--
Computer educator
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nera techie nora thickiebee nera techie nora thickiebee is offline

hi - have you tried it?

I have just opened a Word 2003 file. and selected "split screen" - it gives
me the option of where to place the split. Having clicked, my file is then
effectively split into two portions and each can be viewed and edited
independantly from the other portion.

As I have never used this facility, I would have to guess at a benefit. The
best I can think of is that it gives you the option to view one part of a
document whilst editing another - but on the same screen. The gap between
them may be pages apart which would normally require you to scroll backwards
and forwards.

Hope that helps and now I know that that facility is there (isn't that uncle
bill great? ) I can use it myself.

Regards

Nora

"Schalk" wrote:

I would like to know what is a split screen in MS Word and how do I use it to
create better word documents.

My students need clear understanding of the term "Split Screen" but I don't
know how to explain it to them.
--
Computer educator

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rupert Bear Rupert Bear is offline

"Schalk" wrote:

I would like to know what is a split screen in MS Word and how do I use it to
create better word documents.

My students need clear understanding of the term "Split Screen" but I don't
know how to explain it to them.
--
Computer educator

Hi, I know this is slightly different but if you want to compare two
documents similtaneously you can display them both on the screen at the same
time, scroll them seperately or together. I know there is also the "Track
Changes" facility in MS Word XP but the above is handy if you want to compare
one document against another that has been modified. To achieve this, with
both files ACTIVE on the taskbar, click on Tools - Customise & Keyboard. In
"Categories" select "All Commands", scroll down to "WindowsArrangeSideBySide"
and assign a keyboard shortcut with the Alt key plus another; e.g. I chose
Alt + 5. When the two files are displayed side by side [virtically] a tab
appears on screen which enables both files to be scrolled together. This
latter feature however is not available when the files are shown
horizontally!! Handy to know I think. Rupert.B
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ash_liz ash_liz is offline

i find it handy when needing to compare 2 parts of a long document that are
several pages away from each other. just split the screen, then in the upper
section scroll to the first part of the document i need to see; in the lower
section scroll to the latter part of the document i need to compare it to,
and voila! i can see both at the same time and edit both pages independently
in the same document while viewing them both.