Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Trudy Trudy is offline

Default Linking content (similar to Excel)

In Word 2003, is it possible to link data between documents? For example, in
Excel, if I type =A1 in cell B2 , B@ will display the contents of A1.

Thanks for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VivaViv VivaViv is offline

Yes... copy the text to the clipboard... then position the cursor in the
other document and in the Edit menu choose Paste Special.
In the Paste Special menu, ensure you select the 'Paste Link' option on the
left side, and then choose the whether you want text or picture from the
centre box.
This process works between all the programs.
Hope that helps
Viv

"Trudy" wrote:

In Word 2003, is it possible to link data between documents? For example, in
Excel, if I type =A1 in cell B2 , B@ will display the contents of A1.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Trudy Trudy is offline

I copied and pasted text as a link into a second document. I then changed
the text in the originating document, saved it, and returned the second
document. I right-clicked on the copied "link" and chose Update Link. It
did not display the text I changed in the originating doc.

Am I missing a step? Thank you VivaVia.

"Trudy" wrote:

In Word 2003, is it possible to link data between documents? For example, in
Excel, if I type =A1 in cell B2 , B@ will display the contents of A1.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VivaViv VivaViv is offline

Hi.... did you use the Paste Special menu? AND choose Paste Link on the left
side? This type of link is dynamic... in that if both files are in memory at
the same time... the updating happens automatically. Viv

"Trudy" wrote:

In Word 2003, is it possible to link data between documents? For example, in
Excel, if I type =A1 in cell B2 , B@ will display the contents of A1.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Trudy Trudy is offline

Yes, I chose paste special (as Unformatted Text) with the Paste Link option
selected. I am working remotely so I will try it again tomorrow when I am
back at the office.

Thanks so much for your help!

"Trudy" wrote:

In Word 2003, is it possible to link data between documents? For example, in
Excel, if I type =A1 in cell B2 , B@ will display the contents of A1.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VivaViv VivaViv is offline

Hi Trudy.... version or OS shouldnt be an issue... I use this feature all the
time.... between word and word... and word and excel... and excel and
powerpoint. Try it tomorrow and let me know how you get on. (having said
that... I can't see how working remotely should make a difference - or are
you using Citrix?) Viv

"Trudy" wrote:

In Word 2003, is it possible to link data between documents? For example, in
Excel, if I type =A1 in cell B2 , B@ will display the contents of A1.

Thanks for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
challa prabhu challa prabhu is offline

Hi Trudy,

You can instantly see the updation when perform some editing if you follow
the procedure mentioned below.

Do the following:

1. Type a Word.
2. Double to select the Word.
3. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
4. Position the curson in the documen, and click Paste Special.
5. Click Paste link as HTML format.

if you paste link as HTML, you can immediately see the change in the editing
you do with pressing F9 to manuall to update. You can Paste Special in a
different document and Word will automatically update the current document
and the New document to have just inserted the Word.

6. Click OK.

Note: Preferable use paste link as HTML - Recommended.

Challa Prabhu