Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lisa Lisa is offline

Default Customizing 2007 Ribbon

Hi there,

We would like to customize the ribbon with our own tabs, groups, etc. I need
a tool that does it for me because I am not a programmer and our organization
doesn't have the resources to do it either. Is there something that is
recommended to use? I have come across two but I am concerned about both.

http://www.addintools.com/english/customize_ribbon/ -- I can't find any
write ups about it

http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbon...izer/index.php -- I can't seem to
find out if it is still supported by the developer and when looking at the
forum it doesn't look like he responds to any questions

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Lisa,

Your entering arguments "not a programmer" and "lack of resources" does not
bode well for an immediate solution.

Without a doubt Microsoft has made user customization of the Ribbon a
challenge.

I have not personally used the first product you reference below, but on
cursory review it does look promising. That said, I don't expect that it
allows some of the nitty gritty customization of the ribbon that you can do
with things like dynamic menu controls. The second product I have used. It
has been several years and it certainly filled a niche, but unless it has
been upgraded then I am afraid that it will fall short of your goals.

You can still create custom menus and toolbars in Word2003 and make those
available on the Word2007 AddIns tab. Personally I think that is a clunky
approach (no offense intended Graham) and may not offer a professional look
that you are after. If you want to pursue that option then see:
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

Still, all is not lost. If you are willing to roll up your sleves and learn
a little about XML and VBA programing then you can get a start he
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm otherwise you will likely
have to make a plea to the bosses to shake loose some change and hire
someone to do it for you.

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org