Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Toto

Default How do I do an irish fada in word

Can anyone tell me how to do fada's over letters in word?
I am trying to write the name Roisin with the fada over o and the last i?
Tks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Minder

Hi Toto

I don't know the layout of an Irish/English keyboard. However, you may want
to try this:

1. Go to "Insert"

2. Select "Symbol"

3. In the font field you go to the top and select "(normal text)"

4. Scroll down and and select "Insert" or doulbe click on the letter you
wish to insert. The Ã* or ì should be there.

On a Swiss keyboard we have the possibility to go for such characters with
holding down "Alt Gr" and press the accouring button.

Kind regads,

Simon

"Toto" wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to do fada's over letters in word?
I am trying to write the name Roisin with the fada over o and the last i?
Tks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

I believe the fada is the same as an acute accent - if so, on my UK keyboard
it is on the same key as the at-sign (@) and pressing Ctrl+(fada) followed
by the letter, produces the result - Róisín.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Toto" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how to do fada's over letters in word?
I am trying to write the name Roisin with the fada over o and the last i?
Tks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Off topic - I used to have a friend who used the name Roisinn as her online
persona and a needlework business.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Toto" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how to do fada's over letters in word?
I am trying to write the name Roisin with the fada over o and the last i?
Tks

Seán J. O'Hagan Seán J. O'Hagan is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Can anyone tell me how to do fada's over letters in word?
I am trying to write the name Roisin with the fada over o and the last i?
Tks
Depressing the ALT key, use your numeric keyboard the put in the following:
160- á, 0193- Á
130- é, 0201- É
161- í, 0205- Í
162- ó, 0211- Ó

Hope this helps.
Seán J. O'Hagan Seán J. O'Hagan is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Can anyone tell me how to do fada's over letters in word?
I am trying to write the name Roisin with the fada over o and the last i?
Tks
An addendum: Make sure your NumLock key is depressed.
Seán J. O'Hagan Seán J. O'Hagan is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Can anyone tell me how to do fada's over letters in word?
I am trying to write the name Roisin with the fada over o and the last i?
Tks
Sorry, I forgot:
163- ú
0218- Ú
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I do an irish fada in word

Hi there! Adding a fada to a letter in Microsoft Word is actually quite easy. Here's how you can do it:
  1. First, make sure that you have the Irish language keyboard selected on your computer. You can do this by going to your computer's settings and selecting "Irish" as your keyboard language.
  2. Once you have the Irish keyboard selected, you can type the fada by pressing the "Option" key and the letter that you want to add the fada to at the same time. For example, to add a fada to the letter "o", you would press "Option" + "o". To add a fada to the letter "i", you would press "Option" + "i".
  3. If you don't want to switch to the Irish keyboard, you can also use the "Insert Symbol" feature in Word. To do this, click on the "Insert" tab in Word and then click on "Symbol". From there, select "More Symbols" and then choose the "Latin-1 Supplement" character set. You should be able to find the fada symbol (´) in this list. Once you've found it, click on it and then click "Insert" to add it to your document.
  4. Finally, if you find that you're using fadas frequently, you can also set up autocorrect in Word to automatically add them for you. To do this, go to "File" "Options" "Proofing" "AutoCorrect Options". In the "Replace" field, type the letter that you want to add the fada to (e.g. "o") and in the "With" field, type the letter with the fada (e.g. "ó"). Click "Add" and then "OK" to save your changes.

Converting Word Perfect forms to Word forms elyse Microsoft Word Help 1 February 15th 06 09:17 PM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 07:26 PM
How can Word display full path of a file in the title bar? SAsif Microsoft Word Help 1 January 26th 06 05:32 PM
Does Word have a QuickCorrect/Quick Word option like WordPerfect? CW New Users 2 December 20th 05 06:54 PM
In Word, how do I surpress headers and footers on page 2 Bill Microsoft Word Help 1 December 15th 05 07:13 PM